Toshiba A100 DVD drive device driver software

ardeebee 09:20 08 Jul 08

My Toshiba A100 laptop (processor [email protected]) has "lost" it's DVD drive.The drive no longer appears in "My Computer" although it does appear in the Device Manager list. The hardware ID for the drive is:
IDE\CdRomMAT*!@:A_DVD-RAM_UJ-850S_____1.10
Enabling/disabling the drive in Device Manager makes no difference.
Installing new drivers gives the following message:
"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware(Code 37)
Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 37."
This happened once before when the laptop was still under guarantee and it was repaired under warranty. Unfortunately the guarantee has now expired.
Can anyone please offer any suggestions on how to proceed? Thank you.

Halmer 09:37 08 Jul 08
  ardeebee 12:18 08 Jul 08

Thanks "Halmer". I'll give this a try as soon as possible. The laptop is currently at my daughter's home!! I forgot to say that the laptop was running under Windows Vista. Will this be significant?

Halmer 13:00 08 Jul 08

I'd be guessing if just said yes so here are a few Google links to work through click here(Code+37)&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&safe=active

I'll have another look and post back if I find anything useful.

Hope you sort it. I'm sure you will.

Halmer 13:05 08 Jul 08

Okay, I have found a solution that fixed the problem, for me.

I continued searching the web, when I narrowed the problem to software.

Here is what I did, based on information that I found on the "System File Checker" (which I thought no longer existed in Vista):

From the start menu, select "All Programs" and then Select "Accessories". Find the "Command Prompt" icon and RIGHT-click it. Select "Run as Administrator." Click Okay when prompted by your system.

Then at the C prompt, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes - there is a space between "sfc" and "/scannow").

Just let it run and it will eventually correct all the corrupt files. When it is done, restart your computer.

When it comes back, it will look for a new driver for your sound and then ask you to reboot, after it installs it.

When windows starts, again, everything should be fine.

All my code 37 errors were now gone, and my system was back to normal.

Hope this helps someone else.

ronalddonald 14:22 08 Jul 08

type of operating ssytem are you using.
Did the tosh come with the driver cd and did come with one cd where operating and drivers are all on the same cd. If yes great.

Back up all your peronal files on a pen drive or external drive evrything thats very important.

Now follow the instructions for the tosh to reformat the drive ie should be inser thte disk into drive and restart and press f12 i think and then you will have options to repair for advanced users or reformat the drive. WARNING ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE WILL BE LOST FOR GOOD AND RECOVERABLE.

anyway try that and see if the cd drive appears.
Also check your recycle bi to see if its been deleted there.

ardeebee 15:27 08 Jul 08

Thanks to you both for your suggestions. Unfortunately the Toshiba was supplied with everything pre-loaded - and NO disc.
I'll give the other solutions a try as soon as I get access to the laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac