Tosh Hard Disc

laurie53 20:38 02 Jan 09

My Tosh Satellite has just packed up showing "Built In HDD Failure"

Various installation and recovery discs tried but none can find a hard disc, nor does the hdd light come on.

I know that laptops are notoriously difficult, but anything I can try apart from a new hard disc (which of course may not work if the power supply has packed up.)?

Technotiger 20:55 02 Jan 09

If you can put the hard disk into a USB enclosure and have a look at it on another PC, you might be in a better position to make a decision. Though it does look as if the drive has died.

If it were not for the message shown, then I would have suspected Power Supply failure.

chub_tor 22:07 02 Jan 09

I have a Toshiba Satellite P100 and upgraded the hard drive a few months back. They are very easy to get out and back in. Take a look at this click here(Toshiba%20Universal).pdf

chub_tor 22:46 02 Jan 09

OK that's not a good link, try this one click here

woodchip 22:49 02 Jan 09

First just try removing the Drive then refit it

woodchip 22:52 02 Jan 09

PS I had to do that with one of my Laptop Batteries only yesterday it chowed it was charging on mains but did not know how much charge was ion it. After Removing and Refitting it Worked as it should, showing how much was in the battery when on mains charge

laurie53 06:50 03 Jan 09

Thanks for the responses.

Tried remove and refit, and am going to try an enclosure next, they seem to be fairly cheap.

Not yet sure what interface I need, particularly number of pins.

Technotiger 08:17 03 Jan 09

One of these would do it ... click here they connect to a USB port.

laurie53 12:46 03 Jan 09

Thanks. I'll give it a try on Monday, and update the post.

laurie53 19:54 05 Jan 09

Update.

Hard disc replaced. Fault still present.

Original hard disc slaved to another computer and was readable and usable.

Fault is obviously in the computer itself and will probably be expensive to fix.

laurie53 12:50 10 Jan 09

Final update just for info.

Fault is a hdd controller failure in the mobo.

As suspected, expensive to fix, too expensive with the current cost of a new laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…