Top notch computer lagging with low cpu usage on games?

salamandrass 16:48 02 Jan 15

Hello. A few months ago I bought a gaming computer worth about $1500, I believed everything to be top notch so I won't need to change anything any time soon.

CPU: AMD FC-9590 Eight-Core Processor 4.72GHz RAM: 12GB GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-D3P HDD:WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 ATA Device OS: Windows 8.1

This is an incredibly strong computer and should not have any problems, but when I play games, I experience FPS drops when there are too many things on the screen or too much stuff happening, when it begins, it lasts 2-3 seconds then returns to normal. Then it happens again when going too fast while driving, too many characters on screen, looking at a large landscape etc...

I find that closing Chrome and disabling Explorer helps a bit but not too much. I notice my disk performance spiking up to 100% sometimes, and when I startup it stays at 100% for a while, and also when i'm transferring files.

One thing that one of my friends pointed out is that my CPU isn't supported by my Motherboard, I didn't build this computer myself, but rather a technician did and I just picked out the parts, so I don't know what happens if they mismatch, just putting that info out.

I monitored the temp while these lag spikes are happening and they're constant at 50C-55C and maximum frequency is at 100%, so I don't think any throttling is happening, i've got all power saving settings off anyways. I also ran chkdsk /r and that didn't turn up anything.

So, why is this happening to my "top notch" computer even when it should play anything with ease?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017