Top frame will not display when uploaded

Eileanbeag 16:19 20 Jun 05

I have created a website in Dreamweaver MX using frames and although there is no problem viewing on local computer I am unable to get the Banner which is displayed along the top in 1st frame to display when uploaded. I am using the templates from Dreamweaver called Fixed top nested left. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated - as you will understand I am very new to Dreamweaver.

Eric10 19:25 20 Jun 05

It's possible that the source for your topframe is pointing to the page on your local drive instead of to the one on your website. If the code for your frameset says something like <frame src="C:/banner.htm" name="topframe" scrolling="no" id="topframe"> then that's trying to load your locally stored page. It should have a relative address such as <frame src="banner.htm"... with no reference to your local drive. If this doesn't help you then we can tell you more if you post the website URL so we can look at it and see what's going on.

Eileanbeag 09:07 21 Jun 05

Will look at that tomorrow as I am away from home todayh - Many thanks

Eileanbeag 11:39 23 Jun 05

Recreated site without frames but it is loading very very slowly. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!! URL is click here

Eric10 10:44 24 Jun 05

The site is loading much faster since you changed the pictures to gifs but in doing so you have introduced spaces into the filenames which is bad practice for websites. The "picture1 copy.gif" on the Closeup Magic page is corrupted and should be redone. I'm glad you've dropped the frames as these work against you getting a good placing in the search engines and having a meaningful title for each page also helps with this. You can get rid of the imagetoolbar that pops up when you hover over certain of your images in IE by including the following meta tag in the head section of each page:

<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" />

Good luck with the site

Eileanbeag 22:39 24 Jun 05

Many thanks for advice. It has been mentioned to me that the site would load even faster if is were crfeated in slices. Is this correct and is it possible?

Eileanbeag 20:32 26 Jun 05

I have a new problem in that although the coding behind any rollover I create is exactly the same as a friend who has Dreamweaver I cannot preview in Browser

Eric10 21:05 26 Jun 05

I don't quite know what you mean. Do you have an example of a rollover you are trying to create? In Dreamweaver you preview in browser by pressing F12.

In the meantime here are some other problems I've noticed:

1. The picture1copy.gif on the Close-up Magic page is a massive 2.4MB and its actual size is 2465 X 1821 pixels although you only display it at 224 X 164 pixels. If you resize/resample the picture to the actual display size (224 X 164 pixels) and reduce the resolution from 200 pixels/cm to 72 pixels/inch, which is perfectly adequate for displaying on a web page, then its filesize drops to around 27KB.

2. On the Alan Who? page the link to the Contact page actually loads closeupmagic.html instead of contact.html.

Eileanbeag 11:32 27 Jun 05

Thanks for help; I will attend to image but I have again tried to insert an email link through media; text button; I have uploaded and as you will see there is nothing there; The code when the "email" is highlighted in Design is as pasted below. Any help would be very much appreciated.

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="click here" width="40" height="16">
<param name="BGCOLOR" value="#FFFFFF">
<param name="movie" value="text7.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<embed src="text7.swf" width="40" height="16" quality="high" pluginspage="click here" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" ></embed>
</object>

Eric10 12:49 27 Jun 05

Your code is looking for a file called text7.swf which isn't on your website. This file is generated by Dreamweaver and contains the information needed to displayed the link. If you have just copied the code from someone elses PC rather than creating it on your own PC then you will need to copy this file also.

Eileanbeag 13:48 27 Jun 05

Yes I did just copy - and I can upload this file now but why when I delete the email link on the home file and try to recreate one or make an email link can I see this quite clearly in Design method and it is missing when I view through Browser?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…