Too technical for me

Diggory 18:54 02 Apr 06

Thought I would ask you guys before rather than after......

What I want to do:
Re-format and re partition my second HDD – start this one again

Background:
Second HDD is same as main disk – 120GB SATA. Partitions same on both disks and have been using Norton Ghost 9.0 to disk copy the partitions – including the C: drive.
(I know that’s not what its meant for but was advised this was a good route)

What’s worrying me :-(
In copying / backing up the main HDD1 C: drive to second HDD W: drive I have made it (W:) an active partition. This was an option in Norton along with copy MBR. My main HDD C: drive is still marked as the “SYSTEM” partition and have checked in BIOS that it is set as boot HDD.

Am I going to have problems if I re-format / re-partition HDD2. Worried about deleting the active partition and ending with a PC that wont boot.

Cheers

D:-0

bremner 19:07 02 Apr 06

It will cause no problem............

...........but to be sure just disconnect the W drive and ensure the machine still boots fine from the C drive. That way you can be sure wiping W will have no impact.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:57 02 Apr 06

Start - run - type diskmgmt.msc press ok selectthe drive and right click select format.

By formatting this way there is no danger of formatting the wrong drive as XP will not let you format the drive you are working from (system drive).

Diggory 20:50 03 Apr 06

Ta muchly - good idea about un-hooking the drive as a test.
Q: When I re-hook it may the BIOS detect the MBR / active partition and try and boot from it.

D:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…