Too old for Norton AV 2005

Philtime 18:38 23 Jun 05

Last week my cover for Norton Antivirus 2001 lapsed and I tried to renew it. Norton apparently no longer supports that and I was invited to take Norton Internet Security 2005.

Unfortunately my PC won't take the new program. Its an AMD 7IX motherboard with the 500 chip and 128mb SDRAM @ 100mhz.

Is there a decent antivirus that I could use? A firewall would be a good idea too.

Would it be a good idea if I increased the SDRAM?

VoG II 18:50 23 Jun 05

Anti-virus AVG click here

Firewall ZoneAlarm click here

Both free.

mattyc_92 19:09 23 Jun 05

Avast! click here

It's free for non-comercial use...

DieSse 19:40 23 Jun 05

The AV with the smallest overhead, and fastest scans, thus ideally suited for older systems is NOD32 click here

It's also probably the best AV around, and now certified against Adware, Spyware and Trojans

DieSse 19:43 23 Jun 05

Upping the RAM to 256, or even 512Mb will improve overall system performance. Take care tho', your system may only take "low-density", sometimes called "double-sided", RAM modules - a good supplier will advise if you let them know your motherboard make and model.

Philtime 19:56 23 Jun 05

Thanks for the suggestions.

I believe you are right about the "low density" bit DieSse.

I'm trying to figure out the best way forward for someone who is very wary of fiddling with the innards.

I can spend about £100 on upgrading my PC. Would an oldish AMD motherboard with a chip a couple of years old be a realistic option?

I'll be looking into this and perhaps I might be able to formulate a better question.

Thanks for the help so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…