too much stuff on startup

justkevin 12:38 02 Jan 08

I suppose I should know this but I don't,on startup I have 20 programmes listed on the left hand side of the screen next to Start and on the other side where the time is, are another 18 different programmes .This makes booting up a long winded business.The bar to the left I have understood to be the task bar ,is this correct also what is the name of the one on the right by the clock.How can I get rid of the programmes I don't need at startup but want to keep for occaisional use.

VoG II 12:41 02 Jan 08
  aine 16:50 02 Jan 08

In vista it is now called the notification bar. In XP I believe its called the system bar

anskyber 16:55 02 Jan 08

The ones on the left are for quick launch icons so they do not run automatically. (unless of course they are set to start up, VoG™ 's link deals with start up)

If you do not want to show quick launch then right click the taskbar, choose properties then uncheck show quick launch.

aine 16:57 02 Jan 08

I forgot to give you a little more information. If you are using vista? go to start, click properties, notification area, tick top box, customise. You can then hide all the tabs, select hide until in use. This will clear the notification area.I only have volume, Internet connection, avg and incoming email showing. Hope this helps

interzone55 17:00 02 Jan 08

The bar on the left, next to Start is the quick launch bar, these programs are not running. The "quick launch" bit of the name merely refers to the fact you only have to click things once to run them.

The programs on the right, next to the clock are indeed running.

If you go to Start / Run and type msconfig you will run the Windows Configuration Utility, click the startup tab and you will get a list of all the programs that run at start-up. Untick any you don't need, but be careful, some are necessary, so to be on the safe side, google the program names to see what they mean.

When you close this box down you will be asked to restart, do this. On bootup you will get a box saying Windows Configuration has changed or something, tick the Do Not Show Again box and click OK.

If you find that something you need has stopped loading, go back to msconfig and re-tick it's box.

justkevin 11:03 03 Jan 08

Sorry all but I should have indicated I am running windows 2000 professional and as such don't have misconfig ,or rather when I type that into Run the file can't be found.One other point is that I used to be able to login here and stay logged in forever but each time I visit the site now I have to login.Is there something I can do about this.

cocteau48 11:12 03 Jan 08

Try the excellent WinPatrol
click here
it will alow you do do the same + much more

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…