Too many Tabs open?

hawthorn59 20:14 PM 19 Aug 11

Hi Folks

I have a habit, when I find a page or site that I like, of opening it in a new tab and leaving it open. Instead of bookmarking it, I find that recently Im doing this a lot, and most of the time have up to 20 tabs open in Firefox 3. Is this a bad thing, ie would it make the laptop or browser run slower? Its very handy when you want to go back to a page.

bremner 20:29 PM 19 Aug 11

Firefox 3 does not have the best memory management and each open tab will use RAM. So generally having this many open is to the detriment of your performance.

Open Task manager and have a look how FF3 memory usage increases with each tab.

rdave13 22:02 PM 19 Aug 11

Not only that but there could be a security issue. A lot of open tabs with no input could be open to bad scripts once you go back to an idle tab.

hawthorn59 03:57 AM 20 Aug 11

Was there a way of "managing" tabs or keeping them available, I thought I read it at one point....?

octal 07:26 AM 20 Aug 11

I really think it's best to get into the habit of Bookmarking them, all my Bookmarks are subdivided into named folders to make life easier finding the Bookmark again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week