Too many Tabs open?

hawthorn59 19 Aug 11

Hi Folks

I have a habit, when I find a page or site that I like, of opening it in a new tab and leaving it open. Instead of bookmarking it, I find that recently Im doing this a lot, and most of the time have up to 20 tabs open in Firefox 3. Is this a bad thing, ie would it make the laptop or browser run slower? Its very handy when you want to go back to a page.

thanks

h

bremner 19 Aug 11

Firefox 3 does not have the best memory management and each open tab will use RAM. So generally having this many open is to the detriment of your performance.

Open Task manager and have a look how FF3 memory usage increases with each tab.

rdave13 19 Aug 11

Not only that but there could be a security issue. A lot of open tabs with no input could be open to bad scripts once you go back to an idle tab.

hawthorn59 20 Aug 11

Ah.

Was there a way of "managing" tabs or keeping them available, I thought I read it at one point....?

h

octal 20 Aug 11

I really think it's best to get into the habit of Bookmarking them, all my Bookmarks are subdivided into named folders to make life easier finding the Bookmark again.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message