Too many O/S

Starfox 16:35 13 Jul 06

Yikes! I had to do a re-install yesterday (using my re-set disc)because I made an absolute mess of my pc with some trial software (I know.I know shouldn't have done it).Everything backed up to another H.D so no problems there but now when I switch on my pc I get a choice of booting to one of two operating systems so it looks like I made a mess of that as well.

Question is how do I get rid of the spare O/S which appears to be the original messed up one?

Hope this makes sense!

RobCharles1981 16:42 13 Jul 06

Goto Start and Run and in the box type msconfig

You will now have a box with all the startup options gointo the "Boot Ini" tab and ammend as necessary

Starfox 16:54 13 Jul 06

O.K done the msconfig and then BootIni and found the rogue o/s but can't figure how to actually remove it, what next?

Remember you are dealing with Mr Simple here!!!

RobCharles1981 16:57 13 Jul 06

Does pressing the Delete Key help I'm afraid to do it on mine incase I do something bad!

Starfox 16:59 13 Jul 06

Tried the delete key after highlighting but nothing doing !!!

ade.h 17:22 13 Jul 06

If you go to Startup and Recovery in My Comp properties, you'll find the ability to select a default OS and the ability to reduce the wait time to zero - it will usually set at 3 secs, but that's quick enough. You can also edit your boot.ini from here, if you're brave enough!

Starfox 22:11 13 Jul 06

Thaks ade.h but I aren't brave enough to try that edit thing without more info!

Anyone any other ideas?

Joe R 22:17 13 Jul 06

Starfox,

can you go to control panel-system-advanced-startup and recovery, click on the edit button, and copy and paste the text in this thread, and I will tell you what to edit.

Starfox 22:23 13 Jul 06

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.2
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.2="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Joe R 22:26 13 Jul 06

Starfox,

all you need to do here is delete the bottom two lines of text, i.e.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Starfox 22:30 13 Jul 06

Thank you very muchly Joe, it certainly seems to have done the trick.:0)

I will put you on my Christmas card list.:o) :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…