Too many anti-virus progs. running for laptop??

buel 09:03 19 Jul 09

Hi, im trying to help my friend who's laptop was running very very slow! II have used revo uninstaller to get rid of his Mccaffrey anti-virus that was 5 months old and run the following:
Malwarebytes,
Installed Avg and run a scan,
Instaled SuperAntivirus and run a scan,
Installed AdAware and run a scan

So it now has Avg, SuperAntivirus and Adaware running in the background but my worry is that this is a bit much/processor-hungry for the laptop which is has the following specs:
E-System laptop, 40gb H.Drive, Xp, Sp2 and it only had 256mb of Ram but i have added another 256mb of Ram (which has helped a hell of a lot) The Hard drive has 21gb free of the 40gb h.d.

So i guess my question is there too many antivirus progs running in the background for such a small spec laptop?(and would anyone recommend any other actions i could take?)
ps- i was getting the message 'virtual memory too low' but since adding the ram it has disappeared....has this solved the problem?

As always, thank you so very much for the kind advice that everyone has given me on this wonderful site up till now!

Technotiger 09:04 19 Jul 09

Get rid of the SuperAntiVirus - never run more than one Anti-virus on a computer.

Technotiger 09:07 19 Jul 09

However, you could Add - SuperAntiSpyware ...

click here

Technotiger 09:15 19 Jul 09

And yes, adding RAM did solve the VM problem.

buel 09:24 19 Jul 09

Good lord i am slow sometimes, i meant to put that i it was Superantispyware!!
So those progs aren't too much then?

Technotiger 09:32 19 Jul 09

No, they are not too much, just about right.

birdface 09:34 19 Jul 09

That is about right any less and he would not be very well protected I would also add Spywareblaster as well and that should be sufficient. As you have malwarebytes and Superantispyware you could remove Adaware it should not be needed.Put Spywareblaster in in its place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…