Too busy Harddisk

timothywilliam 17:33 15 Dec 07

I run XP with a 40 GB hard disk of which 23 GBs are used, five years old. I have Flight Simulator as a game but the rest of my computer is photos and documents. Recently, the hard drive has suddenly gone into hectic overdrive for no reason at all. It is busy whirring away but if I continue to work everything continues OK. Whilst it was in this hectic state I went into Task Manager and the CPU was reading 89, the NAVW32 .EXE was active in System and the mem usage was 66484 K. (Not that I know what this really means.) I had a few Word documents open only at this time. I have done a Defrag and a Disk Cleanup. I know that my Registry has 727 errors mainly Invalid Path through a web check, but I do not know if this has anything to do with it. I have not touched the Registry. Any ideas what I should do,-if anything, please. ? Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 15 Dec 07

NAVW32 .EXE

Is norton Antivirus It was probably running a scheduled check hence all the activity.

the rest of my computer is photos and documents.
It is advisable to back up all yor documents and photos, ven though it does not sound as if you have a problem.

You an copy the photos to CDs / DVDs or buy andexternal drive to bakup all your data, external drives are relatively cheap nowadays.

timothywilliam 19:59 15 Dec 07

Hello, Yes I see where you are coming from but the over activity is not a one-off. It has happened frequently of late. My anti virus is on a different schedule- I'd thought of that one. Don't think it is the Firewall either. And yes I have backed everything up

wee eddie 22:15 15 Dec 07

Your PC may be using the HDD as Virtual Memory.

An extra Stick could be a good investment.

Also an Upgrade on your Graphics Set-up might prove beneficial, that wouldn't have to be too expensive either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…