Tonights tale of woe, Nvidia graphics cards

Epirb406 21:45 30 Jun 03

Evening, this is the last evening for a while, I promise, then I need a rest from it all let alone you guys!

To wrap up the last problem, yes it was a dead PSU and no they can't be difficult to change becaus I managed it!

Preamble: New PC specs, click here . No end of trouble so far (See other postings.

Current problem is every time I started up afetr changing the PSU I was getting a "windows protection error, system is being halted" message After another reformat and windows (ME) installation I tracked down the fault to the graphics card driver.

The graphics adaptor is an nVIDIA Ge-Force 4 MX440 64Mb DDR + Tv Out card. I have tried loading the drivers from CD, HD and even in safe mode. I have downloaded the latest ones off the net (18.8 MB !!!) and still, if I manage to get them loaded I can't boot my PC.

Any ideas? The reading I have done suggests they are voltage sensitive, could this be my problem? They also seem to have a myriad of other problems too! Anyone any experience/ ideas? All greatfully receieved. Any probs with AGP sockets and their drivers (Now I really am out of my depth)

And as allways, Thanks for help so far,

Epirb (Head in hands AGAIN!)

Giggle n' Bits 21:56 30 Jun 03

Motherboard/compatibiltiy issue.
Your right in saying voltage its the voltage of the AGP x4 slot on this board and the AGP card you use.

Take it this has the Sis Chipset also, try updating the Sis Driver but unlikly this will make a difference. Erhh what Windows O's is this machine ?

frankie 21:57 30 Jun 03

incompatible memory chip,i had same thing changed memory chip,all fine,common problem with ddr

Epirb406 22:03 30 Jun 03

Hi guys, thanx responses but both rather different and please be gentle with me on the instructions, bit of a dummie really, wondering how I ended up in the box in the first place!

OS Win ME (its the one I have)

Yes, SiS chipset, updating the sis driver? Have disk that came with mother board... anything I shoud be looking for?

Frankie, are you suggesting wrong RAM? Have 1 512 MB stick currently.

Cheers, Epirb.

Giggle n' Bits 22:09 30 Jun 03

get the newer drivers from sis website not from the Driver/motherboard CD.

Epirb406 22:13 30 Jun 03

Now I feel you really are going to see what kind of numpty you are trying to help.......but;

are we talking flashing bios's, an operation I beleive to carry some risks or drivers that I can uninstall if it doesn't work?

Cheers, Epirb.

Rtus 22:17 30 Jun 03

Also note It sometimes requires removal of old graphics drivers to install the new driver to the system .. returning the display (via its properties settings)to standard vga prior to remove and install new drivers..

Rtus 22:23 30 Jun 03

And further note it sometimes requires Not to use new hardware found routine (cancel it) then use the install from your downloaded program, unless the download is zipped in which case youll have to unzip it first..

Epirb406 22:29 30 Jun 03

Thanx comments, yep, reckon I've tried every combination of the above and plenty of more unconventional ones! Convinces it must be hardware!

Epirb

woodchip 22:45 30 Jun 03

The AGP volts may be the trouble as they can be
3.3 volts or 1.some just cannot remember the exact you will not be able to alter this with a driver. you need to check with the motherboard manual for the volts that AGP support, and get a matching card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…