toner cartridges

griffo 17:35 15 Jan 04

I am very frustrated by the fact that toner cartridges cost nearly as much as a new printer (albeit bottom end quality printers). It seems that we almost need to throw away a perfectly good printer each time it runs out of toner. Even if we buy new cartridges, the disposal of the old cartridge seems scandalous, it is non-biodegradable and is ecologically costly to produce.
Don't want to sound too 'greenpeace' but this really bugs me. Is there a way to safely and economically refill the toner cartridges ourselves? We have brother HL1030 & HLP2000 plus an HP 1200 laserjet (which I can't see how to get to the plug to refill it anyway!)
Your opinions and help would be appreciated.

Gongoozler 17:40 15 Jan 04

Many charities will recycle used toner cartridges, for example click here.

Sheila-214876 17:57 15 Jan 04

Plenty of re-cyclers. Type "toner recycling" into Google.

AndyJ 18:58 15 Jan 04

I wouldn't recommend you mess about with toner yourself. It has carcinogenic properties and, whereas it is generally safe in normal use e.g. removing/fitting of cartridge, larger quantities should be avoided.

In reality, if you have a spillage or carry out a major clean of a laser printer you should use a special vacuum cleaner to avoid breathing in the dust.

hector 911 19:21 15 Jan 04

I worked on copiers and printers for decades, I found that trying to refill is not worth the trouble, unless you know which toner to get for which m/c, you will lose print quality, and may even damage your printer.
many laser consumables include a drum & cleaning blade, which only do a certain amount of copies before quality gets worse.
even recycled is not the answer.
Laser printers are not the same as ink printers

Pesala 21:51 15 Jan 04

They are reckoned to have the lowest running costs by quite a margin.

I would recommend refilling toner cartridges yourself. It can double or triple the life of a cartridge, sometimes with some loss of quality, but not always.

Epson EPL 5900 cartridge (100 gms toner) = about £80

Refill Toner (450 gms) = £36 click here

I find refilling is easy. Just be careful when pouring it, and stop breathing, or wear a mask.

Ask Manx if they have suitable refills for your machines.

griffo 10:15 16 Jan 04

many thanks to all who replied. We will recycle and thanks to Pesala for the link to cheaper suppliers than we currently use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…