TomTom XL New user problem

ex4thhussar 17:35 13 Jun 08

I did say I would be back !

I've had the XL connected to my computer for updating and generally getting used to the TomTom and now it wont let me back to the "normal" mode for use in the car !!!!!!!

What do I need to do?

Help please

Ron

sinbads 18:14 13 Jun 08

I assume you have removed the usb cable, ensure that the SD card is fully located in the slot then try to switch on, if it dosn't switch on could be there is insuficient charge to run it.

When they are new it takes a while to fully charge the internal batteries. (test by plugging in your car adaptor to charge the tom tom and then switching on.

ex4thhussar 18:30 13 Jun 08

Sinbads
No problem with power source, it switches on OK but goes straight to the PC mode.
I've made arrangements to take it back to John Lewis on Sunday where they have promised to sort it out or replace immediately. They tried to talk me through a "reset" operation using a bent paper clip but the XL doesnt have a reset hole you merely have to hold down the start button for 16 seconds.
When the shop has sorted me out I will report back for the benefit of others with this problem.
Thanks for trying !
Ron

sinbads 18:41 13 Jun 08

are you sure it dosn't have a reset hole as they say, most TT's do although sometimes difficult to locate. You could try reconnecting to your pc and use safely remove hardware option. Sometimes if youu remove your TT from the computer whilst its still comunicating with your device, can cause corruption of the SD card. anyway good luck

sinbads 18:51 13 Jun 08

look at (3) click here

TonyV 19:30 13 Jun 08

I have an XL and the reset "hole" is at the RHS bottom of the card.

TonyV

TonyV 19:33 13 Jun 08

This was the response I got from Tom Tom when I had a problem getting it to switch on correctly after an update.

"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Please follow these instructions:

1. Take the SD card out of your TomTom

2. Switch the TomTom on

3. Now put the SD card into the TomTom

4. Locate the reset hole on the bottom of your device as shown here click here

5. Put an unfolded paperclip into this hole and you should feel a slight click

6. Hold the paperclip in the reset hole for 20 seconds

7. The device should screen should now switch off when reseting it

8. Now switch the device back on with the SD card in it

It should now switch on and off as normal.

With Best Regards"

Hope this helps

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…