TomTom question.

Cymro. 18:27 03 Nov 08

I was given a new TomTom some three months ago. I have used it without much of a problem only some of the details on the maps are not as up to date as I would wish.

I went to have proper look at the instructions today, yes I know I should have done so when I first had the device, but it is too late now hence the problem.

I now find that when I connect the TomTom to my computer there is a registration code that comes in the box that I should have used within the first 30 days after the devise was bought.

The code is now out of date so I am not sure if I am actually getting the latest map updates. Does anyone have an answer to this? Perhaps somewhere else where a working code can be found or some way of working round the problem.

Or does it really matter all that much anyway as many people I have spoken to say that they never updated their TomTom via their computer anyway.

fitshase 18:58 03 Nov 08

Normally you have to pay for updated maps which is when the registration code comes in to play.

However, if you purchase any new maps and they will not run due to the registration code, I'm sure a quick e-mail to TomTom customer service would solve everything since you are in possession of the code.

Regards

Ross

woodchip 19:06 03 Nov 08

You only pay for maps if they are different maps i.e if yours is UK/Ireland and you wanted Europe you would have to pay but updates you should not have to pay. Camera updates are payed for each year, you can take up on this at any time

anchor 14:38 04 Nov 08

If you wish clarification, call TomTom support on

0845 161 0009

They give a 30 day lastest map guarantee, but that is from the date of purchase.

Updates can be very useful; Mapshare possibly being the most beneficial. Quickfix is handy in that it speeds up getting a satellite fix.

wee eddie 15:04 04 Nov 08

Registration allows you a "Free" Map update so that you have the latest set.

As far as I can understand, if you purchase their 'Safety Camera' Package, you get Map updates for the duration of the package.

Woolwell 15:29 04 Nov 08

wee eddie's first paragraph is correct. However the safety camera package only provides safety (speed) camera updates. As anchor has mentioned the mapshare updates are very useful and allow maps to be updated by users of TomTom reporting map errors, etc. You can edit your own map too using the map share and I had to do that near my own house where the road layout was completely wrong on the TomTom due to major road revisions having been carried out in the previous year.
I also get GPS Quickfix updates downloaded. These are supposed to make it quicker for the TomTom to fins the satellites.

Cymro. 16:01 05 Nov 08

I tried various TomTom Email addresses with no result so I phoned the number given above by anchor. The voice of the person at the other end had a distinct Asian accent so I thought "here we go again another helpline in the far east just like the BT one".

But where ever they are situated they were very much better than any BT helpline I have been on. They were easy to understand and gave instructions in good clear English.

They sent me an Email witch I then returned to them with a scanned copy of my receipt as an attachment. They then sent me another Email with the code I needed to get the free updated map.

So all is now well and I have learnt my lesson not to disregard operating instructions in future, good job I still had the receipt. Thank to you all for your time.

anchor 11:16 06 Nov 08

Cymro: glad that things have worked out for you.

Their call centre is in Holland. You will need "Home" to download and install the new map.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now