TomTom Home Dock

compumac 15:51 11 Apr 09

Vaguely to do with computers but might be worth asking.
I have a TomTom 710. Using the Home dock connected to the PC it is not now recognised despite working for the last three years plus. Power is being received at the Dock and the TomTom is being charged and works OK in the car. Whilst it was connected to the PC (and not functioning) I waggled(?) the connecting cable at the dock end and it sprung in to life. I moved the dock subsequently and it says yet again "USB device not recognised". This suggests that the dock is faulty. I cannot quite figure out as to how to gain access to the interior of the dock to look for loose wires. Anyone out there who might be knowledgeable on this aspect? I know - not strictly a PC question but.......
I have posted this query to TomTom and also a TomTom forum, but responses are not overly rapid.

woodchip 16:07 11 Apr 09

why cannot you just connect with usb cable to pc as i do with my tomtom

woodchip 16:07 11 Apr 09

why cannot you just connect with usb cable to pc as i do with my tomtom

ps my tomtom charges through usb plug

compumac 16:24 11 Apr 09

Woodchip
The dock is connected via a USB to the PC. Is yours a 510/710/910 series? I am not aware of another means of conecting TomTom to PC.

Woolwell 16:42 11 Apr 09

My 520 connects as you describe and not normally by direct USB. However I've just checked and the connection to the dock is a USB port and I have now connected by the USB cable that I normally use for syncing my mobile and I have successfully bypassed the dock.

compumac 16:51 11 Apr 09

Woodchip
Are you saying that your cable used to sync your mobile phone is the same as the connection on your 520. If so, what mobile phone is that? I have ones for LG, Nokia and Sony Ericcson and none of thos appear to be the same sort of connection as to the TomTom

anchor 17:07 11 Apr 09

This is the type of cable that I use to connect my Go920 direct to the PC, without using the dock.

I have no idea if the 710 uses the same mini B connector; a look at the dock should show you the fitting.

click here

compumac 17:37 11 Apr 09

anchor
Thanks for link. It would appear that the TomTom 20 series have a different connector to the TomTom 10 series. Appreciate your input though.

woodchip 18:28 11 Apr 09

Mine is a TomTom One Cracker. And it only connects direct using usb Cable

woodchip 18:32 11 Apr 09

it does not connect to phone only by i think wireless or infrared blue tooth don't know about that one as i do not connect phone. I do have traffic alert connected to the bottom of it. This picks up from side of road

compumac 19:22 11 Apr 09

woodchip
Thanks for that but the TomTom Cracker does have a different type of connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac