Tofger virus infects iesearch.exe

Tweakster 10:53 21 May 04

Hi everyone. Can anyone advise me on how I fix the following virus? PSW.Tofger.BB which has infected iesearch.exe on my system running Windows 98. Can I delete iesearch.exe given that Internet Explorer is iexplore.exe?
I'm aware of the sophos website but it does not provide sufficient recovery information.

curlylad 11:30 21 May 04

This seems to be a Trojan Horse that exploits a vulnerability in Internet Explorer.Firstly I would download and run Spybot , you can get it here click here Go to the bottom of the page and click on the download next to spybot 1.3.
I would also visit click here to download the patch to stop this vulnerability being exploited in future.

curlylad 11:36 21 May 04

Sorry about the second link , try this instead click here;en-us;330994

curlylad 11:39 21 May 04

Strange , that isn't working now either , click my second link then in the search bar top left hand corner type "330994" , without the quote marks and when the page opens it is the top link on the list.

curlylad 11:47 21 May 04

Me again disregard my microsoft links , it seems I have posted the wrong numbered article that you need .If I find it then I will post back.In the meantime go and check on the Microsoft site for critical updates , the patch you are after will probably be here.

Tweakster 12:08 21 May 04

I'll try what you suggest. I look forward to the patch download link if you find it. Many thanks!

curlylad 12:50 21 May 04

I can't seem to find the download link. However I have found the article number and if you go to click here and in the top left of the screen info bar type 833242 it will give you a link to where you can order the patch on CD-ROM.

Tweakster 14:47 21 May 04

Thanks. I've ordered the security update CD. I'll leave this thread unresolved until I've implemented the patch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…