Today's Windows updates problem?

The Mountaineer 10:47 08 Dec 09

Is anybody having problems with a Windows Defender update today KB915597?
My W7 Home Premium Dell Laptop has frozen each time this has downloaded and installed after Sys Restore and Acronis Restores carried out three times. (Somehow automatic updates had been turned back on so I wasn't fast enough to stop it)

User-1229748 11:35 08 Dec 09

no problem with it here with w7 home premium,actually had it yesterday.

provider 2 11:43 08 Dec 09

No problem with XP Sp3 (automatic) today, though why I bother with it at all I don`t know. It`s never nabbed anything.

Graphicool1 14:21 08 Dec 09

No, it never did me any favours either. I got rid of it a long, long while ago and I can't say I've ever regretted it.

The Mountaineer 14:30 08 Dec 09

Graphicool, did you get rid of Defender or Windows updates?

blazingbadger 21:02 08 Dec 09

Me know too

onionskin 22:56 08 Dec 09

Vista. I had no problem with KB915597 yesterday, I didn't even notice it had installed.

I've just downloaded today's big update, after the restart, I got the Windows start tune but my screen stayed blank (sort of blue/grey colour). The disk access light was flashing, so I thought I'd give it a while to see what happened, before trying ctrl-alt-del or switching off and restarting.
After about 10mins, my screensaver cut in (I think, the screen went black anyway) I nudged the mouse and my computer went straight to the log-in screen. Logged in and everything seems ok now.

p.s. I didn't wait for auto update, I went to Security Centre and clicked Install, maybe I was too eager.
I've never had a problem with an update before.

gazzaho 04:24 09 Dec 09

Downloaded and installed on my desktop W7 64-bit machine fine. I can't say the same for my W7 32-bit notebook though, it reported an error code 800705B4, when I google it I get posts about NVIDIA graphics cards which is really strange. On rebooting the notebook, update doesn't offer it again, it just says the machine is up to date.

blazingbadger 09:26 09 Dec 09

Vista Downloaded both and no problems here

The Mountaineer 09:49 09 Dec 09

Thanks for all your responses folks, its a bit of a mixed bag really and probably an interaction between W7 plus the update plus the specific programmes on my machine.
Still a bloody nuisance though!
I'll mark as resolved, but I'm sure its a continuing topic generally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced