.tmp files in C:\WINDOWS

wee eddie 16:30 27 Jan 03

all starting "ffe"

Since creating a network of my IBM Aptiva K500. 128mg Ram Win '98se and my laptop, Advent 7007 Win XP Home.

The Aptiva's harddisk spends a lot of time hunting and the Windows folder fills with lots of files

C:\WINDOWS\ffe(lots-of-random-letters-and-numbers).tmp

Any ideas... That a fearful novice can follow

DieSse 16:39 27 Jan 03

You can safely delete all files in this directory, as long as you have no programs open at the time.

Look in the start-up program list. If you see MDM being loaded, disable it.

DieSse 16:40 27 Jan 03

SORRY - misread your post - DO NOT DELETE ALL FILES IN THIS DIRECTORY (of course)

DieSse 16:46 27 Jan 03

However - the cause is as I stated - it's due to the program MDM being loaded when the system starts.

My misreading was that I thought you were referring to the TEMP directory - the contents of which you can delete.

Go Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Information - Tools - System Configuration Information - Startup. Untick the box for MDM

DieSse 16:49 27 Jan 03

PS - you can safely delete all those ffe....tmp files.

Excuse my panic!!!!

spikeychris 16:54 27 Jan 03

Is that it? are you finished?...now go and put your fingers in the freezer..

;o)

Chris

DieSse 16:59 27 Jan 03

pheww!!

wee eddie 17:26 27 Jan 03

Job done - unticked MDM7 & deleted the ffe***.tmp files.

I shall close the thread at 3pm Tuesday assuming success

wee eddie 10:35 28 Jan 03

Double checked the thread of instructions - MDM7 is disabled on Startup.

The ffe***************.tmp are back in C:\Windows

Could this be a Swap File Problem. eg Not enough Ram.

wee eddie 18:47 28 Jan 03

MDM turns itself on during the day. I don't know what it is. Should I try to remove it altogether?

Turned it off using Ctrl-Alt-Del, but it came back again.

spikeychris 19:43 28 Jan 03

Machine Debug Manager

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices and delete "Mdm.exe" and it will prevent it from running and creating more files.

Back up the registry first click here for information on how to edit and backup the registry.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…