Tiscali Wireless Help

MickCTR 11:32 06 Jan 08

I have recently transferred from Orange BB to Tiscali and I have 'gone wireless' in the process. For the last month or so I have had no problem connecting to the wireless network with either my laptop or my sisters laptop. However recently my mum has acquired a new laptop (Advent 9215) and she cannot connect to the network. The laptop can see the network no problem but no matter what i try it will not connect. I have tried taking the laptop back to the store that we got it from but they said that because it is seeing a network then there is nothing wrong with it and the problem must be softwre. I have alo tried a USB network adaptor but that didn't work either. The laptop will connect via an ethernet cable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BurrWalnut 14:44 06 Jan 08

As it’s a new laptop, presumably it’s running Vista? If so, I suggest you remove any connections you have made so far and start afresh.

1. Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless Networks in the left pane and right-click the network(s) to be removed.

2. Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Set up a Connection or Network in the left pane > Manually Connect > Next then key in the SSID, select WEP/WPA and type in the key. You may also want to tick ‘Start this….‘ and ‘Connect even……‘.

If you still getting nowhere, change the channel number in the router setup and type the WEP/WPA key as hexadecimal characters rather than ASCII into the new laptop.

MickCTR 20:09 06 Jan 08

Sorry to sound like a puddin' but could you elaborate on that last bit please :). I have done step 1 and 2 but with no success. And yes the laptop is on Vista, sorry i forgot that bit!

BurrWalnut 20:47 06 Jan 08

Using a connected PC connect to the router by typing 192.168.n.n (check your documentation for the values of n) into a browser window.

Now look for 'wireless settings' or similar wording and change the channel number up or down by 6.

Close the browser window and try to connect the new machine wirelessly by typing the key in hex rather than just the ASCII characters. Hexadecimal conversion click here
e.g. abcd becomes 61626364

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5