Tiscali upgrade but no service.

Flopper 22:43 10 Apr 07

I recently applied and got confirmation of an upgrade to my Tiscali Broadband line speed from 2mb to 8mb. By coincidence, on the day the upgrade went live (7th April) my internet stopped completely.
I found out about the upgrade completion by logging onto my emails using my wireless laptop and someone else's network which is how I can send this topic.
Tiscali offer limited support for my router (Netgear DG834) as it was not supplied by them. We did a few tests, such as resetting my log-in details within the router's explorer screen but it failed. We tried both the auto detect/configure option and the manual option.
They then advised me to contact Netgear who had me do the same checks and claim that because there was no IP address appearing under the heading ADSL Port after testing the connection this was a sign that my email address had been entered incorrectly.
It was entered properly.
I have done all the usual unplugging the router and rebooting the PC completely and reconnecting but to no avail. I have reconfigured the router several times and it too failed.
Does the router need upgrading in any way to be able to cope with the new line speed? It says on the box it is upgradeable to ADSL2+ for speeds up to 24mbps.
Any suggestions?

SteveWH 22:55 10 Apr 07

I have the Netgear DG834GT and am with Virgin when they upgraded their speed I did nothing and it continued to work as before.

I didn't see any great speed increase because of the distance from the exchange but I knew that would be the case.

I am using wireless to conect both my desktop and my laptop. Can you enter the orginal settings manually:

MAC Address
IP Address
Network Type
IP Subnet Mask
Gateway IP Address
Domain Name Server

Or reinstall the router using the original disk.

Dipso 20:41 11 Apr 07

Do you get all the green lights on the router as before?

Try this test click here or this which is specifically for Tiscali. I am wondering if they have switched you over to LLU, broadband using their own hardware at the exchange, rather than BT's and something has gone wrong during the transition.

If you go to click here and click on track your landline order you can see what action BT have taken on your line. You may have to sign up for an on-line account if you don't already have one.

Dipso 20:42 11 Apr 07

Sorry I forgot to include the Tiscali LLU test click here

Iron Maiden 21:07 11 Apr 07

You are unfortunately one of the hundreds if not thousands of Tiscali customers who have daily-weekly-monthly problems with what must be the worst ISP in existence. I was with for them for 3 months, 2 of which were a nightmare with constant service & speed problems. There technical support is useless, most of the people you speak to probably don't even know how to turn a PC on let alone solve network & internet problems. If you would like to see what others are saying look here
click here
this part of there forums is well hidden from the usual forums. In the end a compliant to the I.S.P.A click here helped to solve my problems
And they let me leave without having pay for the rest of the year. Which seems to be there answer to
problems they can't solve.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…