Tiscali Slow Speed (Dialup)

John-207204 10:50 02 Sep 05

I have a tiscali daytime dialup connection and allways connect at a speed of around 48kbps, however yesterday and today the speed is down to 19.2kbps.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Stuartli 14:17 02 Sep 05

Have you checked the port speed setting is still at 115000?

Strange things modems. I was with WorldOnline and Tiscali dialup for six years until April before switching to BB.

I used to get 49.2kbps with Tiscali and 52kbps with Pipex (my other ISP) using a Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro.

An elderly friend has recently had similar problems with his Tiscali dialup with the connection often dropping to 24kbps and never higher than 33.6. So I swapped the AMR modem for a £12 hardware version he purchased when I suggested a new modem.

I updated to the latest version of the supplied driver but still couldn't, apart from one occasion when it did 44, get above 33.6 with the new modem.

Yet whenever I brought the case home and hitched it up to my phone system I immediately got 44 and 46kbps every time with either modem.

He lives 300 yards from the exchange and I'm half-a-mile away and both phone lines are drop a pin quiet...:-(

John-207204 18:01 02 Sep 05

Hi Stuartli,

Thanks for your response.

Have checked port speed, it's 115200.

From your post I see you believe it could be my phone line. Everything was ok on Thursday. Then on Thursday night we had a thunder storm and my connection the next day was down to 19.2.

Lets hope BT check the line and things are ok on Monday.

Stuartli 18:10 02 Sep 05

No, not necessarily the phone line. Just that modems can be a pain at times (and I speak from hundreds of hours of experience)...:-)

However, in view of the circumstances, it could be the line.

John-207204 08:52 05 Sep 05

Hi Stuartli,

Again thanks for reply.

I have tried a different ISP (ecosse)and the speed is the same.

I have contacted BT yesterday and they say the lines OK, but have said they will increase the power on the line. Speed at 21.6 today.

So it looks like you are right it must be the Modem.

Thanks again.

Stuartli 09:13 05 Sep 05

What's the actual modem - make, model?

Stuartli 09:13 05 Sep 05

Plus operating system.

John-207204 09:41 05 Sep 05

Hi Stuartli,

Modem - SoftV92 Speakerphone Modem with SmartSP 1394 Net Adapter.

Operating System - Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 2.

Computer - Mesh

roygbiv 13:54 05 Sep 05

I had a slow dial up speed (a few years ago), max. 240000. All down to BT haveing a DACS (line sharing device) on the line, ask them to remove it (may take ALOT of asking. When they removed it from my line speed went upto 400000.

Stuartli 14:35 05 Sep 05

Can't find anything much re that modem. Any brand name - appears to be a Conxeant chipset?

The one other thing that I've just remembered is that the pal whose modem I spent hours on recently trying to get it going uses 1571 even though he has an answerphone....:-(

It was only after checking the phone extension to the modem with a telephone that I found out there were several 1571 messages still undeleted.

That meant the modem could never get a proper dialling tone.......

Once the messages were deleted the modem worked, although still only up to 33.6kbps.

John-207204 11:57 06 Sep 05

Hi Stuartli, Roygbiv,

Thanks for your response.

UPDATE
Have contacted BT again today at 11.17 hours and informed them problem still exists. The engineer stated he would again increase the power on the line, for some reason it would take 24 hours and if that did not work they would have to send an engineer out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…