Tiscali Internet Slow

bigdave101 16:25 29 Nov 09

Hi, i am having some trouble with my internet connection, my isp is Tiscali and we have the internet and TV package, we are using a Thomson Router provided by Tiscali. Over the last week we have had trouble conneecting to the internet,I made two calls last weekend to Tiscali technical support and both times they changed the line speed. During the week 80% of the time it wasnt working and when it was we where connected for a maximum of an hour and the download speeds where very very low, slower than dial up speeds. When i listen to the BT phone line there is always noise on it when the router is on, when its not its fine. We had a similar problem about two months ago, we contacted BT and they sent out an engineer who checked the line from the exchange to my house as well as the internal wiring and he Ok'ed it. We then contacted Tiscali who sent out an engineer and he eventualy replaced the router that they provdied, problem solved but now we are back to square one

I have just got of the phone to Tiscali and the advisor told me to ring BT because the noise was the phone signal and the broadband signal interfering with each other and because the phone line was BT we should contact them because it was problem with the actual phone line. I contacted BT who rang a line test and the advisor told me it was all ok and i should contact Tiscali again.

It seems like they are blaming each other and im going round in circles and i am fed up with ringing up various technical support lines and being put on hold for long periods and not really gettin anywhere.

I have tried replacing the filters we have installed no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?
If you need any more information let me know

Cheers
Adam

User-1229748 16:37 29 Nov 09

have you tried coming off your bt master socket with nothing else in any other phone sockets?bt and tiscali will blame each other.i've actually got the bottom half of my master socket hanging off the wall and i'm running my broadband from out of that.my broadband still gets cut off if the phone rings for quite a while so i got a phone with an answer phone on it so people can't keep it ringing :o)

RobCharles1981 16:47 29 Nov 09

This sounds like a line fault or somewhere.

Can you post your line Stats from Your Romson Router if you don't know how to tell me the Make and Model of it.

bigdave101 16:52 29 Nov 09

I have had a look in the router page and i cant seem to find line stats, i have seen them before on other routers but this one has been modified for Tiscali i believe and to be honest i would rather use the D Link we use to have but cant cos of the TV. The make is a Thomson TG585 V7

Cheers
Adam

User-1229748 17:09 29 Nov 09

how to get line stats,apologies if you've already seen this or tried thisclick here

bigdave101 17:13 29 Nov 09

Thanks smackheadz found line stats, pasted below:

Uptime: 0 days, 1:14:23
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 160
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 13.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 44.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 5.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / GSPN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 10 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5,085
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Pick a task...

User-1229748 17:28 29 Nov 09

someone will be able to decipher what those mean but your sn margin of 5 is the same as mine so i look with interest.

RobCharles1981 17:52 29 Nov 09

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 44.0

As far as I can see you don't have any real problems with your stats, I think Orange are fleecing you.

Looking at these stats you should be getting the full 8mb are there any LLU providers at your exchange?

bigdave101 17:59 29 Nov 09

You mean Tiscali??

Yeh i think so, so the line attenuation stats arent anything to worry about??

I have no idea how to find out if there are any LLU providers exchange. I did get a letter about three weeks back saying that we will be getting transfered to the TalkTalk network in the coming months because they have brought out Tiscali, but no one at Tiscali Tech Support has told me that i was in the process of being transfered

bigdave101 18:02 29 Nov 09

*at the exchange

RobCharles1981 18:09 29 Nov 09

click here

Post Back And Tell us whats avialble at your exhchange.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…