Tiscali contract ???

carol_s 22:30 08 Jul 09

Hi Probaly not the correct forum, but you have all been so helpful in the past. I wonder if anyone can give me advice. I am currently with Tiscali (BB) only, i have a contract up to the end of October this year. I am not happy that Carphone warehouse have taken over the Tiscali UK arm, as i have had bad dealings with them before. Anyway i rang up in June to tell them i was thinking of going with Sky as they had a package of £16.50 per month for sky talk, BB and TV package. I am currently paying £14.67 to Tiscali for BB alone. The call centre i called said they would give me 2 months free BB, and at the begining of July, i could cancel my contract with Tiscali without having to honour my 12 month contract. I have now ordered Sky and rang Tiscali today for my MAC code, i was told i was under contract and would have to pay up until the end of October. I informrd the agent that i had rang in June and was told i did not have to honour my contract and she said i was given wrong information. I do not want to pay any money to Carphone warehouse as i have had bad dealings before with them. I was told they are still Tiscali (which i am aware of), carphone warehouse have taken over the UK arm of Tiscali. Nevertheless my payments would be going into Carphone warehouses pocket. So my question is: Where do i stand???

Stuartli 22:49 08 Jul 09

I've been with TalkTalk (CPW) since April 2006 and have enjoyed a first class broadband, phone (AnyTime UK and international calls) and line rental package for £20.49 a month ever since.

Quite a contrast to the ISP I left after some eight years.

It may interest you to know that that ISP was Tiscali.

When you say you have had "bad dealings" with CPW in the past, are you referring to TalkTalk or its mobile phone outlets?

Sea Urchin 22:55 08 Jul 09

I would suggest you have to honour your contract until the end of October. Incidentally, if it wasn't for CPW it's highly likely that Tiscali would have collapsed.

ened 07:51 09 Jul 09

Conceivably you would have woken up one morning and had no BB connection and the line would have been tied up with the Tiscali stuff and you might have been without for weeks.

I understand your reluctance to CPW but I have been with AOL Through a deal with CPW which included a Laptop) for 18 months and, although there have been some glitches, I have found them to be comparatively good.

We are now on £14:99 a month which includes free calls. I am getting 5/6 meg most of the time, although it drops a bit around teatime.

Another important factor is that contacting them is free and they have some really helpful staff in Ireland. Admittedly, like all the others, they do have some useless people in Mumbai but I only ever call them if the line is down for any length of time, and then only to report the problem.

I think that if I were ever to leave them the main one I would consider would be BT.

Kevscar1 08:07 09 Jul 09

Unfortunatley unless you have a recording of the call you cannot prove what was said so will have to see out the contract.

Stuartli 10:26 10 Jul 09

You have two threads on the same subject running at the moment:

click here

Clapton is God 12:00 10 Jul 09

I'm with Tiscali and have been with them since the early days of screaming.net, as they were then known.

I'm perfectly happy to have the 'security' of Carphone Warehouse/TalkTalk behind them, rather than having to worry about Tiscali going belly up as was possible just a few months ago.

You're tied into a 12 month contract. Live with it.

Poitier 14:44 10 Jul 09

Hi,
When Carphone Warehouse tookover Tiscali you had the opportunity to change your ISP free for a limitd period.I believe that that period expired in early June and after that date you would be tied to your contract.

carol_s 21:29 10 Jul 09

poitier, I was told from my phone call in June that, the takeover was at the end of June begining of July and that until then i could not do anything.I was never sent an email or telephoned giving me a choice. Obviously Carphone warehouse been sly gets as usual, and thats partly why i do not want my hard earned money lining their pockets.

carol_s 21:31 10 Jul 09

Hi sea urchin, i would rather Tiscali collapse rather than have to give my money to Carphone warehouse, at least id have a choice of who to go with.

Stuartli 00:02 11 Jul 09

I cannot understand your logic. Without CPW you would have probably been, as they say in these parts, "..in Dickie's meadow."

CPW made it quite clear last month to Tiscali subscribers that their service would continue and improve after the takeover, adding that the takeover would be "seamless."

It would seem that you see problems and setbacks where there may well not be any.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…