Tiscali Broadband Service Upgrade

Jackcoms 08:43 12 Jan 05

I understand that as part of Tiscali's New Year promotion, their existing 512kbps BB users can now upgrade to the 1mb service for the same price as their existing package.

I've twice spoken to Tiscali Customer Services who tell me it's possible to register online at the Tiscali website. In fact, it isn't possible! Or, at least, I can't work out how.

Do any other Tiscali users know how to register for the upgrade?

TBH1 15:19 12 Jan 05

I tried this earlier on in the week - -I am on the 256 jobbie - - and it said you couldn't do it at that time. I spoke to tiscali and they aid the same thing.
I got a letter from tiscali only yesterday saying that my service would be upgraded, free of charge, to the 512 service. I pay £19.99 right now for 256 - - so this kind of money will get me 512, or stay on 256 and pay £15.99. All this in March - - -which, spookily enough, is 12 months after signing up to them.

Totally-braindead 15:30 12 Jan 05

Look at this click here

rawprawn 16:13 12 Jan 05

I had just upgraded from 256 to 512, and a week later I received a letter saying that they would upgrade me from 256 to 512 free of charge at the end of March. I rang Tiscali and spoke to a girl who was about as much help as a chocolate firegaurd, but eventually she said I would be upgraded from 512 to 1mb free of charge. I asked for confirmation by email or letter but received nothing. I have emailed Tiscali asking for clarification, but as yet I have had no reply. I shall be interested to hear what happens with other users.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 16:31 12 Jan 05

That was lucky I just got one of thse letters to upgrade from 265kb to 512 at no extre cost
now considering I have about 1 month left with tiscali i.e been with them for 11 month now with no problems I must say (praise tiscali) I was going to change isp but do I now as I wanted to go to 512kb cheap like are there cheaper ips braodband and reliable as tiscali.

rawprawn 17:37 12 Jan 05

I have just received this email from Tiscali

Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm you will be upgraded to the 1MB service in March this year.

In regards to the limited 1MB you will not be able to change this product from your broadband service.

If you should have any further enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us on 0870 744 99 66 and one of our advisors will gladly assist you further. Lines are open Monday-Friday 8am until 8pm and Saturday 9am until 2pm).

Yours sincerely

Sarah Lofting

Dorsai 18:49 12 Jan 05

Tiscali do seem to have made a bit of a 'dogs dinner' out of publishing/explaining the upcoming changes.

All they had to do was put a link on their web site for their customers, explaining what is happening, when it will happen, and who gets what. Easy as. You visit their site, sign in, and find out what is going on.

rawprawn 20:13 12 Jan 05

I wish it was so easy.

Jackcoms 20:27 12 Jan 05

I've just had a look at Tiscali's own Broadband Forum. This was posted by Tiscali on 6 January:

"Tiscali is pleased to announce that we will be upgrading our Broadband customers' speeds completely free of charge.

Upgrades will be staggered over the next couple of months to ensure we have plenty of capacity in place to support this boost to customer speeds:

150k customers will be upgraded to 256k by the end of January 2005

256k customers will be upgraded to 512k by the end of March 2005

512k customers will be upgraded to 1mb by the end of March 2005

Customers don't need to do anything, we will upgrade the service automatically and confirm by email when the speed increase has taken place".

It seems to answer my original question, but why did Tiscali bury it deep in a Forum instead of on a 'normal' page on their site??

rawprawn 22:03 12 Jan 05

Good question my friend, and why was the girl I spoke to reluctant to simply tell me that.

spuds 23:52 12 Jan 05

I have been a long standing customer of Tiscali [Lineone],and when I heard of the new offer via Dorsai's post, I tried to look into it further as to what all my options were in upgrading my present service.Looked at the new website advertising, sent emails, had a reply which really didn't answer the questions that I asked. In fact the email seemed to contradict itself. Phoned Tiscali, and was told that as an existing customer I would have to wait for further instructions and so forth. Finally I have sent a letter raising all the points that concern me, and Tiscali's services.

Apparently in the ADSL Guide newsletter, there is even further confusion regarding the higher grade Tiscali services.It would seem that other ISP are possibly offering a far better value service, and Tiscali are trying to jump on the bandwagon at a late stage, so as to keep the competition at bay.Seems like Tiscali's good intent as led to their existing customers confusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…