Tiscali broadband ping for online gaming

emmj84 23:44 04 Dec 05

wondering if anyone can advise?
I received my modem and installation bits earlier than the date i was told to be connected (9th) So I've installed it and the net works fine, but when i try to connect to an online game, i have a very high ping. I have had someone test my ping but the request is timed out.
I've seen some bad reviews for tiscali and online gaming bad latency/ping etc

I have been told that the phone line has been tiscali broadband enabled, im just wonderin should i expect some extra line set up for the date they gave me?

Chegs ®™ 09:42 05 Dec 05

Just a quick note,

I tried pinging Tiscali.co.uk and got no response so I checked my routers cfg and it has the IP address of tiscali so tried pinging that instead.The result was

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

So can only assume your not testing the connection from IP addresses to get a Timed Out.

The poor latency is likely from the actual game server,not tiscali and there's little you can do.Unless you want to try a few of the various "tweaks" (MTU/RWIN,etc) but be aware you might actual make things worse.

emmj84 10:40 05 Dec 05

what i meant is when i run cmd and ping my own ip address or tracert (from another pc), nothing is found or it times out.

eg- Packets:Sent = 4 Received = 0, Lost =4 (100% loss)

server is fine - i used to connect via another provider never had this much prob with ping.

im not on a router - just a usb modem plugged straight into computer with data cable to phone line via an adsl spliter thingy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…