tiscali broadband keeps disconnecting

mpez 11:55 29 Jul 04

hi, my friend is with tiscali broadband and it keeps disconnecting after about five minutes and it is driving her mad she has ran her antivirus scan and she had some viruses but cleared them but still this keeps happening. Is it possible she still has a virus that keeps disconnecting her?

Many thanks

Totally-braindead 12:41 29 Jul 04

I suppose it is possible, I'm with Tiscali Broadband and have no such problem so the disconnecting is probably caused by another source such as incorrect settings or some sort of virus. I'd try deleting and reinstalling the modem first and see what happens. Is your friends anti virus up to date and what software is it ie Norton, AVG ? What operating system win Xp or 98. It could well be something else such as a corrupt setting or some program trying to access the internet when shes already online causing the connection to drop. Really need more info.

mpez 13:03 29 Jul 04

I will tell her to delete and reinstall her modem and make sure she has updated her antivirus, she has AVG, and her system is Me

thanks for your advice

Graham ® 13:07 29 Jul 04

How is the modem connected to the PC? If it is USB, then it must be on a root hub on its own.

Djohn 13:16 29 Jul 04

Agree with Graham ®, also make sure the root hub is not set to turn itself off when not in use to save power. Access to the setting is from device manager/root hub, right click to open then click on the power management tab. Remove the tick from the power saving mode if required.

TBH1 13:48 29 Jul 04

mpez - i think this has something to do with your settings; can't quite remember how to resolve but will do a search here on my postings.

TBH1 13:52 29 Jul 04

here you go - - -

click here

mpez 14:34 29 Jul 04

thanks everyone for the advice and i will pass it on to her and let you know if and when resolved

Kate B 14:58 29 Jul 04

One other suggestion - if she's got a regular dialup modem too that's connected, maybe she's got some vile dialler that's trying to dial out and is somehow causing the BB connection to be dropped? Adaware and Spybot would rootle out such a thug.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…