hi stevieb77.... are you still using the modem that came free from tiscali ? if you are you should try updating the drivers and if that dont help, do what i did and get yourself a pci adsl modem ....i have had no problems since i changed .....hope this helps . Dave.
What make of modem do you have?, If it's the Sagem [email protected] try changing the USB rate over to Bulk, to do this either double click the green triangle or start the DSLMON utility from your programs menu, press Alt + D to bring up the Administrative window and click the Config tab, change the USB rate to Bulk, click apply/OK and restart the Modem, don't know if this will definitely fix your problem but it did sort out certain troubles I had, If it doesn't do the trick follow the same procedure to change back to ISO mode...alB
I would phone their helpline, I lost all connection last week and tried everything that has benn mentioned above. Eventually I phoned and after they rechecked my computer they found it to be their own network problem which they fixed, although I still had to pay for the call.
Hi StevieB77. My cousin had the same problem and Tiscali asked BT to check the line. The response was very quick and the BT engineer checked the line and hard wired the modem to the incoming box and all his connection problems evaporated.