Tiscali Broadband

taffy101 09:09 15 Mar 06

I have been having problems setting up a new Tiscali broadband connection using a router. At first the connection seemed to be working fine and I was connected to the internet. However soon after connecting another computer to the router the connection was lost, and the ADSL light on the router started flashing. I contacted the Tiscali helpine and was told to verify the router settings which I did. Then she told me that there were problems in our area and that I should try again the next day. Still no connection. I rang the helpline again but this time I was told they could not help with router settings, and that the flashing ADSL light meant there was a problem with our telephone sockets or the ADSL filters. I tried unplugging all phones etc but this made no difference.

I have also rung the Tiscali service status line but this just gives the continual message:

'Some of our Broadband customers may be experiencing problems connecting to the internet this morning. Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working to resolve this as soon as possible. Please continue to check this line for further updates. In the meantime we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience'. This message has not changed for the last three days. Has anyone else tried this service status line?

Totally-braindead 11:06 15 Mar 06

The pnly thing I can say is I'm with Tiscali BB and have no problems however I live in Angus Scotland and presumably you live in a different area. I presume the number you have been dialing is 0870 744 2922.

spuds 11:32 15 Mar 06

I think Tiscali are going through a bad support situation at present. I had a problem re-connecting my broadband service last week. Tiscali told me that they would sent me a new re-install disk, as they couldn't assist until I had received the disk. Funny really, I had another play around with the setting etc, and re-connected. Three days later I received the 'essential' re-install disk!!.

Had I left it to Tiscali, I would have had no broadband for an extra three, four or more days, left to my own devices and regained the connection within a couple of hours.

rmcqua 11:48 15 Mar 06

Try posting a message in the Tiscali Broadband Support forum:
click here
Their customer support monitor the forum and you may get some help there.

paddyjack 13:06 15 Mar 06

With Tiscali useing a router, 1 pc, 1 Mac, no problem.

All I have ever done is plug the router in and it has worked fine from the off.

taffy101 16:16 15 Mar 06

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I live in the East Yorkshire area. I am dialing the 0870 744 2922 for the support line, the other number I have is 0845 6632200 which is apparently a service status line.

This morning I tried resetting the router and re-entering the settings. It connected for a short period and then lost the ADSL link again, and a further reset could not get it back.

I have now connected with the USB modem supplied by Tiscali and this does work and I can get on the internet. It is the router I cannot get to connect. On the diagnostic test it fails at ADSL synchronisation. Could the router be faulty or is it more likely settings?

I will give the Support Forum a try also.

taffy101 08:36 17 Mar 06

I am still having problems getting my router to connect. Tiscali help has told me the settings that I should have for the router. I am happy with these except about where I should enter the primary and secondary DNS addresses. Are these in the router settings or in Windows Network settings? Would this affect not been able to get the ADSL link? My router is a Safecom SAMR-4114.

taffy101 21:16 19 Mar 06

refresh

bluto1 22:40 19 Mar 06

I hope this is not an idiot suggestion.
Uninstall everything to do with Tiscali BB, including removing the phone filters.
Now start again and follow the install instructions exactly. Do not assume something will be OK, it won`t. I`ve no experience with routers but I do know that with a lot of applications on PCs the uninstall/reinstall works. Best of luck mate and I wish Wales could have won yesterday.

Stuartli 23:20 19 Mar 06

You will also find it far better to use Tiscali's own Broadband Support Forum than dialling its broadband number (0870 744 2922), as you deal direct with moderators who can contact the engineers and other relevant personnel direct and quickly sort out problems.

Look out for Mr Tibbs (Steve Best) who is a particularly valuable member of Tiscali's support forums.

cycoze 00:02 20 Mar 06

Echo what Stuartli has said other than to point out that Mr Tibbs has moved away from the BB forum now, MK Andy is the man you need to contact now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…