Tiscali Broadband

Salop Hatter 15:22 10 Nov 05

Hi all - forgive me if this sounds stupidly basic but... I've been running Tiscali BB for about 4 months without problems but have recently been getting an error message warning of 'insufficient bandwidth'. It is coinciding with no dial tone and so I intend replacing the normal extension cable I've been using to connect to the BT socket with an RJ11 ADSL data cable in an attempt to solve the problem. As well as the modem, I need to connect a phone and Sky connection to the primary socket. Could someone confirm that the following is the correct sequencing from the socket: primary phone socket - filter - RJ11 from ADSL socket on filter to modem - 2-way adaptor into phone socket on filter, from which telephone and Sky connections. Does that make sense? Many thanks in advance for your advice. Kev

PaulB2005 15:41 10 Nov 05

There have been a number of threads on here regarding Tiscali and speed / bandwidth. In fact i'm off to investigate another at 6 this evening - 1 Mb Tiscali BB running at 56 Kb speeds.

PaulB2005 15:46 10 Nov 05

Do a search on Tiscali on here and see if any threads seem simalar.

Gongoozler 15:59 10 Nov 05

Salop Hatter, your connections look OK. The important thing is that nothing connects directly to the phone line. This page shows the connection options click here. The usual causes of "no dial tone" are poor connections somewhere between the modem and the telephone exchange (are there any strange crackling noises on the telephone?), or inability of the modem to synchronise.

If you check your connection speed here click here, then copy the reference number and send it to Tiscali support click here, then in my experience you will get a helpful response from Tiscali. When I reported only half the speed I was expecting, the very helpful person at Tiscali reconfigured my network and soon my connection speed was exactly what I expected.

Salop Hatter 10:03 11 Nov 05

Thanks for your helpful responses. Tiscali are sending me a new modem and I'm gonig to set up the new conections this evening so hopefully all will be well. Kev

Stuartli 12:40 11 Nov 05

I think what Salp Hatter is referring to in this instance is USB bandwidth.

Andrew Potter 13:51 11 Nov 05

Make sure the RJ11 cable isn't too long, it's recommended to not go beyond 10 metres. Mines on a 15 metre cable and regularly drops the connection. I've noticed the slow speeds too.

Salop Hatter 15:46 11 Nov 05

Mine is also 15m cable but given that I've been connecting for 4 months via a normal extension cable I'm hoping it won't be a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…