Tired of typing the same answers repeatedly?

Pesala 21:50 02 Mar 03

Have you thought of using a keyboard macro program? Perfect Keyboard Pro from click here can be easily customised to type frequently repeated phrases, personal details, etc. I am sure there are several other similar programs too.

The only problem is deciding which phrases deserve a keyboard shortcut. How about these:

.n Name

.a Address

.p Telephone number

.w Website URL

.o What Operating System are you using?

.b Download Belarc Advisor from click here, and run it to give details of your system configuration.

.i Download Irfan View from click here and save bitmaps as JPG files. With most photographs you can reduce quality as low as 20% without much loss of quality, but with huge space savings.

What would be your favourite shortcuts?

Pesala 22:24 02 Mar 03

Download Irfan View from click here

This tiny freeware graphics viewer on steroids does most common tasks better than bloated Photo-editors. Scan, crop, flip, rotate, convert, resize, recolour, and special effects. No paint, clone, or mask tools though.

Download Diskeeper Lite from click here

It is a Freeware defragmentation program that will run in the background, and completes the task more quickly.

QUESTION: Would you put a link to the Irfan View Homepage, or directly to the Download Site?

ANSWER: A direct link to the Tucows site generates an error. Why?

Taran 22:51 02 Mar 03

You can do much the same with most good word processors.

When I remember to use Word instead of typing directly into the textbox on this page, I have my spellchecker available and any amount of Macros that I want to take the time to write or record.

There are fast text insert options too; commonly repeated words or phrases may be keyed in with a simple key combination and all kinds of other tricks are available.

I'd agree that a macro recorder, either a built in or thrid party affair, has its values. Getting the time AND the inclination/habit to use one though, sometimes is a little difficult.

Pesala 23:27 02 Mar 03

At one time I used to do nearly all of my work in WordPerfect, and had all sorts of macros. Nowadays, most of my work is in Serif Page Plus, Notepad, NetObjects Fusion, or on Forums.

As you say, getting the time or inclination to define macros is hard, and remembering to use them is even harder. Cut and paste is often more effective.

I like the tip to bookmark favourite threads mentioned by Stokey though. Very helpful.

click here

DieSse 00:25 03 Mar 03

"Tired of typing the same answers repeatedly?"

Yup!

;-)))

Forum Editor 01:00 03 Mar 03

facing most of us who use computers and the Internet on a regular basis.

There's just too much information available and too little time to handle it all. We're all looking for faster ways to process stuff (as Microsoft likes to call it)but haven't even got the time to use the shortcuts that we have already. I'm like Taran, I know that macros can help me but often I can't be bothered to use the ones I've already recorded. I type most of my forum contributions directly into the page - as will be obvious to those who cringe at my typos - and rarely use a spellchecker.

I write a good deal in my working life, and the day that software/hardware developers come up with a program that types text as I think will be the day that I run laughing into the street and hug total strangers.

DieSse 01:12 03 Mar 03

The only trouble with "text as one thinks" will be (in my case at least) it's almost undecipherable, instead of only a few typos.

8-)))

Pesala 06:22 03 Mar 03

Another reason why people visit these forums is the need for human contact. As I have asked before, "How many questions could be resolved with a Google Search?" So keep those typos coming, it reminds us that there is human being out there somewhere making them.

Goldcroft 08:25 03 Mar 03

Depends Pescala how good a typist one is. Personally, as a touch, all fingers and thumbs keyboard person find it's quicker just typing in. Seem to remember, perhaps it still there, a Word tool whereby you could highlight and transpose two letters typed in the wrong order. The effort of doing that compared with deleting and retyping was ridiculous.

Would suggest that doing a proper typing course (there are some computer based programmes)could be very valuable for most of us. Seen users with the top technology, fastest processors etc etc and it takes them a few mins to type a line in with two, or sometimes even one, finger.

Stuartli 09:01 03 Mar 03

What you are thinking of is AutoCorrect...

It's still there...:-)

Useful for those of us who are touch typists and, for instance, type "t he" instead of "the" at times.

Pesala 09:13 03 Mar 03

Yes, that dreadful feature is still there. Turn the darn thing off, or at least reduce it to correcting simple typing errors and inserting smart quotes. If I type (C) that is what I want not ©.

Open Office (and Word too no doubt), also has an auto-complete feature that remembers your frequently used words, and fills in the blanks after you type the first few letters. Then, if you remember to do it, you can complete the word with the Enter key or space-bar. It works quite well, but one would need a bit of retraining to get used to it.

You are dead right, Goldcroft, learning to touch type should be the first thing that people do before they spend money on faster hardware.

Perhaps even more important than that is matching the software to the hardware. How often have I seen software released in 2002 or later installed on computers produced in 1999 or earlier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…