Tips and Warnings re Partition Magic 8 please

zaach 10:38 01 Jun 03

I have just bought the above to partition an 80Gb drive into three. Currently there is only about 9Gb on drive and it has been defragged with Diskeeper 7.

Any tips and/or warnings about what to be careful of would be gratefully appreciated.

leo49 11:25 01 Jun 03

Don't rush into it. Take your time and THINK about why you're partitioning and how you want to use the space available.What made you decide on 3 partitions? Work out with pen and paper the sizes and uses for each partition before you start so you've clear plan.

Regards

wee eddie 17:09 01 Jun 03

as the two are contingent

click here

Sorry if you feel I am butting in

zaach 17:18 01 Jun 03

That is one reason I posted this, I have been running a simulation from a recent PCA CD and am wondering what I have forgotten to check out.

Why three partitions, it has worked very well on my previous computer, 1 for general use, 1 for what I call back office storage and 1 for assembling image files for burning to CDs.

Regards

leo49 17:52 01 Jun 03

That's fair enough,zaach. Merely asked because we see so many folk posting,for example, that they're going to divide their 80gb HDD into 4 equal parts without stopping to think what's going to be on each partition and whether the size is appropriate.

One of the uses/advantages of partitioning is obviously to isolate all data from the OS - in which case the OS partition can be fairly small and the freed up space better employed elsewhere[with the added benefit of reduced fragmentation].

Some folk,including myself,have a small partition for all Temp/Internet Temp/Swap files - again this reduces the size/fragmentation of the OS partition.etc,etc,etc.I treat my HDDs as a filing cabinet and have 6 OS partitions and 12 Data partitions.

But any scheme should be designed to suit an individual's needs/usage and what they feel comfortable with.

Good luck

zaach 18:20 01 Jun 03

staggered at the amount of partitions you have leo49. whilst I like keepng certain things separate I had never thought of going to quite that sort of detail. Perhaps I ought to think again although presumably if I master Partition Magic (which is my biggest worry at the moment) I would be able to adjust things later without too much trouble.

leo49 19:13 01 Jun 03

I shouldn't worry about mastering PM as it really is a doddle.Thing to bear in mind is that it's very much a step enabling the next step process. ie when you first start with the original partition encompassing the whole HDD, the first move is to reduce that in size in order to create the space for new partitions.Data can then be moved from your initial partition into a new one[s] enabling you to resize the initial one further. You'll soon get used to it.

My setup probably sounds daft to some but it suits me - why have a folder within documents for Graphics or MP3 or Movies when they can have their own partitions?

Regards

wee eddie 19:32 01 Jun 03

How do you lable your partitions?

C: D: E:

C: C:\C1: C:\C2:

C: C:\Internet C:\Documents

or some other way?

The Transporter 19:43 01 Jun 03

PM8 is easy to use. So don't be scared of it. It will change your drives and sizes etc but your data will remain intact as long as you don't try and make the drive smaller than the amount of data that is on there.

I run an 80GB drive. It is split into 9 partitions. One just for the O/s which is 5 gb. Then the rest is split into around 7/8 GB each.
For programs, word documents etc, music, games and so on.

A few tips. IT is best to do your partition sizes smaller the better. This is to make programs run better, causing faster access to files, quicker defrag times etc.

If one drive partiotn goes wrong it will only be a few files that go wrong not a large amount.

If you change the size of partitions and you don't want to keep the data on those drives it is faster to format them and then chage their sizes, otherwise it ill transfer data across drives and will take a very long time.

If you want to change drive sizes and keep data on them then just change their size and PM8 will do the rest>< But it could take a long time for the program to run.(due to data transfer).

When the main screen comes up.

You will be presented with you hard drive and what it looks like.

Make sure that the first partition is always the primary partition. And that it is set to active. Just right click on the drive for a choice of options.

The rest of the drives will all be called logical drives in the extended partition.

So for example Split your drive into 8.

C: = 10GB which is the primary partition set to active.

The other 70GB is split into 7 x 10 GB which are all set as logical drives.

Make sure you are happy with everything before you apply the changes and experiment a few times, to get the feeling etc.

One last thing. MAKE SURE you make the recovery boot disks. You will need to floppies and they will save your life.

:-)

partition magic 8 does not always work with the amount of programs you appear to have. I used it with a similar quantity & it failed.After trying to contact partition 8 by phone I went back to maxtor the maker of my HDDs & started from scratch using their partition which worked extremely well I know that the other HDD makers also have partition facilities available to customers but the principal warning is
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR DATA BACKED ONTO CD if partition 8 does not work you are in trouble which is not easy to rectify unless you have a 2nd PC online to download the troubleshooter program from partition 8

leo49 19:53 01 Jun 03

Not quite sure what you mean - only the OS I'm using is visible[all the others are hidden].Thus whichever OS I'm in appears as C.

All the non-OS data partitions are D - O [each with a descriptive label,eg.L Movies,M Graphics,etc]with my CDR as Y and DVD as Z.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…