Tips to keep my computer healthy

so3003 12:03 06 Apr 03

As you may have read elsewhere, I had the joy of having to format my hard disk and reinstall Windows last week - losing the latest version of my address book, "send items" and the date/time fields of all my stored emails in the process.

Naturally I'm a bit *!@:ed off about this!

Does anyone have any hot tips for how to keep my computer in tip-top shape so I don't need to go through this trauma again for a long time? Obviously defragmenting and scandisk - but how often? Anything else I should do? Any good power tools it's worth running once in a while?

Thanks everyone.

Scott

powerless 12:06 06 Apr 03

click here

...and buy and read pages 95 to 99.

"25+ easy speed tweaks"

sattman 12:07 06 Apr 03

From painfull experience:.

1 Dont try to fix it if it aint broken

sattman 12:07 06 Apr 03

From painfull experience:.

1 Dont try to fix it if it aint broken

recap 12:11 06 Apr 03

I Defrag and Scan disk my system every month. My address book is backup every time I add a new contact (both business and personal). Delete all cookies and Temp Internet files after every Internet session.

sattman 12:14 06 Apr 03

Oops - above sent in error

1 Don't try to fix it if it aint broke

2 Resist adding and removing software, especially games.

3 If it is working ok resist trying to improve it

4 Get a good back up, not (ME restore) as a back up is only good if it works when you want it. I have found restore very unreliable

Peter 12:17 06 Apr 03

If all else fails use your backup! What do you mean, you don't have a backup?

Get the system up and running properly and take a full (complete) backup to another partition, another drive, CDR or somewhere else that's safe. Use Norton Ghost or Drive Image for the backup and when the brown stuff hits the fan restore your backup.

Keep a copy of your data files stored away and regularly updated on CDR. Make sure this includes all those file that keep your addres book, sent items and similar.

Peter.

STEVE71163 14:31 06 Apr 03

I too had to re format my hard disc this week and like you would not like to go through this again to soon. I may partition with partition magic but i understand this caries some risk so i dont know whether it would be best to use norton ghost but understand to back up your system to cdr would take about 10 discs. So i would like to know the best methods also.

Wak 14:42 07 Apr 03

I have a spare hard drive installed and use the FREE XXCOPY program from click here to clone the entire operating system, programs, data etc from the C:\ drive to the D;\ drive.
It only takes a couple of minutes to do a complete clone and if things go pearshaped on the C:\ drive, it is a simple matter to clone it all back again from D to C.

€dstow 14:56 07 Apr 03

THE most important thing to keep your computer healthy is to have a backup. Even if you can't manage a full system backup, at the very least have two or more copies of anything personal that you consider important. Also have copies of up-to-date drivers for all installed devices.

Secondly, if you're on Me or XP, ensure that the System Restore feature is enabled and is working properly.

Thirdly, think very carefully before adding any new software to your machine. Consider if you really want it. If you think you do, wait a couple of days and think about it again. If you still want it after than time, revert to the first paragraph in this posting and make a backup before you install anything at all. There are so many computers that get mangled and wrecked by installations of programs that are not really wanted and are totally unnecessary for the smooth running of your machine. Particularly odious are those programs that claim to tune up/improve/check this, that and the other when in fact what they do is tell a lot of half truths and induce a sense of panic in the user.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…