TIP: Taking Screen Shots as you Work

Pesala 17:23 11 May 04

Nearly everyone will have used Print Screen to grab the screen. Various programs will allow you to display and save it, but what if you don't want to interrupt your work-flow to save the image?

I just discovered that Irfan View can save a screen directly to disk. Press the hot key (e.g. F12) and a new file is created with the date and time stamp in the filename. You hear a beep to confirm the capture, but focus remains unchanged.

In Irfan View, press C to set the Capture options. Select "Save captured image as a file." Specify a directory, a file format, and options for that format, e.g. JPG compression quality, or PNG number of colours. Set the shortcut key you want, and press start. Leave Irfan View running, and resume work. Press F12 every time you want to capture the screen.

You can see from the time stamps, exactly how long you took to get to each stage in what you were doing, and the files will be in sequence. Very handy for writing tutorials.

D-Frame 17:28 11 May 04

Great tip! *thumbs up*

VoG II 17:46 11 May 04

Nice one Pesala :o)

HoverSnap does something similar click here

Gemma 17:49 11 May 04

Thanks for spotting that; lovely way to note down all those settings that end up written on scraps of paper under the keyboard............

Ivor_Monkey 18:04 11 May 04

interesting ref.

Pesala 18:24 11 May 04

Take dozens of screen shots as you select menus, enter data in dialogue boxes, etc., then animate the process as a screensaver or executable file.

Graham ® 19:44 11 May 04

Thanks for that! My shortcut key is set at ctrl F11. That works, but where does F12 come in? Plus, no beep.

Pesala 19:52 11 May 04

but couldn't find one. The hot-key can be set to whatever you want. I find F12 easier than Control F11, which is the default. Just look at the capture options dialogue. I'm using the recent version 3.90 click here to update. I believe that 3.91 is available as a minor bug fix.

Graham ® 19:55 11 May 04

I'm on 3.85, so will update now, thanks. Will also change the hot-key to F12!

Simsy 20:19 11 May 04

Thank You!

I am shortly to prepare a tutorial... this will be a great boon!

Regards,

Simsy

Chronos 20:21 11 May 04

that is ace........nice one...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…