A Tip for OE6 users with Winxp home sp1

bretsky 15:14 25 Dec 04

This has probably been said and done before and I have often wondered why my OE takes an age to load, now I know why and I stumbled upon this in the latest issue of pca and the helpline section.

Now before I go on, be warned this requires a registry hack, so if you're uncomfortable with this, exit now.

It's windows messenger loading which takes the time, yes I know you can disable it in OE, but it still appears in the notification area with a x icon and yes you can go into program files windows messenger and rename the exe file, but doing, this I got DCOM errors in event viewer,

VoG™, have sorted this with DCOMbobulator.

So, third option was to do a reg hack, so here it is.

Now in the right hand pane,right click your mouse and create NEW DWORD VALUE and name it
"Hide Messenger" exactly as you see it here including a space and in upper and lower case WITHOUT quotation marks. When you have done this, double click it and give it a value of 2.

So now in the pane you should have

Hide Messenger REG_DWORD 0x00000002(2)

Close the registry and fire up Outlook Express and in an instant it will be loaded, and no errors in the event viewer and no icon in the notification area.

Hope this is of some use to you out there.

Merry xmas

bretsky ;0)

bretsky 15:22 25 Dec 04

Forgot, if you are going to do this, please be sure to BACK UP THE REGISTRY and save to desktop until such time you are satisfied with your pcs performance then delete it!!

bretsky ;0)

VoG II 15:23 25 Dec 04

Or if you don't fancy messing in the registry click here

Stuartli 17:30 25 Dec 04

You can easily and simply disable Messenger in Services.

Type services.msc into Run and then OK.

Scroll down and then Disable Messenger.

bretsky 18:30 26 Dec 04

The two are not related, go to services and look on the extended tab for explanation, my tip is for windows messenger NOT messenger.

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…