TIP: Editing MP3 Files

Pesala 22:38 05 Jun 03

If you double-click on an MP3 file in Windows Explorer it will open in your MP3 player, probably Windows Media Player. However, what if you want to edit the file in MP3directcut?

That is what I wanted to do, so I added a function to do that as follows:

In Windows Explorer, choose Folder Options from the Tools menu, then select the File types tab. After a brief search, a list of file types will be displayed. Scroll down to MP3, and click on the Advanced button. Then click on the New button, and enter E&dit in the Action edit box. Click on the Browse button to locate the program you wish to use to edit MP3 files (MP3directcut) in my case) and click on OK, and close the dialogue box.

Now, when you right-click on an MP3 file in Windows Explorer you should have an option to edit it. Not rocket-science, but more convenient than running MP3directcut, then opening a file.

User-312386 22:44 05 Jun 03

good tip

Pesala 22:20 06 Jun 03

^ Just in case you missed it.

leo49 22:49 06 Jun 03

Bit around the houses way of rightclicking Open with.... select MP3DC and same result.

Pesala 23:02 06 Jun 03

MP3directcut is not listed on the Open With menu, one has to choose program, which takes ages. One doesn't wish to change the default to directcut as usually one just wants to play the file. However, if one wants to EDIT it has opposed to play it, to have that function on the menu is very useful.

leo49 23:09 06 Jun 03

Come off it.If it takes you ages to browse to the exe then words fail me.You've only got to do it the first time and you don't check the 'always open with box' so it does NOT become the default program - it's merely added to the right click 'open with'menu.

jazzypop 23:23 06 Jun 03

"one has to choose program, which takes ages" - no longer than "After a brief search, a list of file types will be displayed" in your original post.

From then on, choosing to Open With will show your MP3 editor already listed (as well as any other MP3-capable programs, including a choice of MP3 players if you have several installed).

I am not trying to 'have a go', merely correcting what I believe to be a factual inaccuracy.

Pesala 23:29 06 Jun 03

Now I've changed it to "&Edit with MP3 Direct Cut."

Yes. Your way is fine. Even though MP3dc is not listed on the list of programs, and one has to browse to find it to add it to the list. I hadn't realised that the program remains on the Open With > Submenu once it has been added.

Still, it requires more effort. "Edit with MP3directcut is on the main menu, so one doesn't have to open the submenu, and one doesn't have to choose the program.

I also overlooked that one can use the keyboard and ignore the mouse altogether: Alter F, E or Alter F, Enter. To play the file in Media Player, of course, one simply selects it and presses Enter. Again, one can use Open With, but it takes extra keystrokes.

You pay your money and take your choice. It is good to know different ways of achieving the same end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…