A Tip for converting a fat formated drive to NTFS

rainwarrior 20:31 02 Aug 03

I have A partioned hard drive done throught fdisk on a win 98 boot disk, I formated the drives using the fat32 system and installed windows, but I wanted ntfs as i am running win xp, i found out to do this go to start run type in cmd (you will get a dos prompt) at the dos prompt type Convert c:/fs:ntfs and press enter(c: change to you own drive letters) you will get something about having to force a closure on progs put n( for no) and hit enter then select y (for yes) on convert when you next restart, repeat for all drives. its gr8 cause you can do it through xp and you dont loose any files :) its gr8 if you use fdisk to partition and format through fat32 like me

Djohn 20:46 02 Aug 03

Thank-you for the tip. j.

powerless 20:50 02 Aug 03

Why not just format in NTFS first?

rainwarrior 21:48 02 Aug 03

i could format in ntfs but only iff i boot from xp cd and then it will only format the drive you r installing to so i ended up with a ntfs drive c: and fat32 drive D: this way i get both ntfs the 98 boot disc dosnt support ntfs so this way is really for peeps like me who use an old boot disc to format or partition

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…