Tiny Advets - too good to be true?!!!!!???

Viv-208691 10:05 09 Oct 04

Hi there, in the lastest issue of pc advisor there are literally tens and tens of pages of tiny computing ads. The laptops in particular look like fantastic value and if they really are as good as they claim then surely they should be in pc advisor's budget laptop charts???

I'm considering getting one of these laptops instead of one of the top 3 in the budget chart...am i stupid???!!!!

Has anyone actually splashed out on one and if so any complaints???

Please tell me if im missing a catch!!

Diodorus Siculus 11:01 09 Oct 04

They seem good - do a search on these pages for a variety of views on the machines and support options.

Remember to add the price of delivery (£40) and restore disks (£30).

Viv-208691 11:09 09 Oct 04

Thanks DS but surely you have to add delivery and restore disks price to every laptop so the time one still represents the same value??? or is that not the case?

Diodorus Siculus 11:15 09 Oct 04

Most manufacturers will provide the price of the recovery disk into the advertised price.

Delivery can be anything from £7 to £60 depending on where you go.

keith-236785 11:27 09 Oct 04

The time when people like Tiny start charging for restore discs and NOT supplying the original media either is the time I am going to start voting with my feet and going elsewhere.

seems like they have been taking lessons from microsoft. pay for it (original installation of windows) then pay for it again,,,,,I DONT THINK SO

My opinion folks

Viv-208691 12:09 09 Oct 04

yeh thats what i thought!!!

Thanks guys, any thoughts on the quality of these laptops though???

Diodorus Siculus 13:46 09 Oct 04

One of the laptops won the £699 labs in ComputerActive a couple of issues ago...

Forum Editor 15:53 09 Oct 04

of biased comment when you ask about Tiny, and my advice is to ignore it - make up your own mind, based on your own judgment about the machine's apparent value.

You can make your own copy of the Windows XP installation quite easily, so you don't need to pay for a restore disk if you don't want to. My feeling is that if I was making a purchase as important as a new laptop I wouldn't be worrying about an extra £30 or so, but there you are - some people see it as a major factor, and that's their prerogative.

I have no axe to grind for Tiny whatsoever, I have no connection with the magazine's advertising department, and I speak as I find - whether or not a company advertises in our pages. Tiny suffers because of the past, but the present company is a new one - not connected with the previous company of the same name - with a new range of machines, and a new marketing policy. Whether or not they succeed remains to be seen, but so far I have heard no bad reports about their computers and several good ones.

Some people take a delight in knocking suppliers for the sake of it - it beats me why - but I believe in making my own mind up, based on personal knowledge and research. I suggest that you do the same.

keith-236134 18:59 09 Oct 04

I tried 3 times to purchase a comp over the net from Tiny all without success. There's nothing wrong with my money but I didnt want any of the extras so they just didnt bother. Amazing.

joesoaps 19:55 09 Oct 04

very carefully.Friend of mine bought a desktop from Tiny and found that the modem is tied to their choice of ISP which my friend didn't want to use and he had to buy an external modem.
So unless Tiny have had a policy change recently watch out for this one.All in all he's happy with the pc though.

Diodorus Siculus 19:57 09 Oct 04

I don't know if the modem is still locked to Supanet but if it is, there are instructions on how to unlock it. Time will do it for free but I don't think it is fair that they do it in the first place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…