time.windows.com - synchronization

guesswho2 12:42 14 Aug 07

I have just recently replaced the CMOS battery in my computer (XP+SP2) and I'm puzzled as to why the time shown on the desktop is not accurate. When I try to synchronise it fails, stating that an error occurred, and sometimes says that "The peer is unreachable". What on earth does this mean and does anyone know why it's not keeping time anyhow with a brand new battery?

Stuartli 12:46 14 Aug 07

The time.windows.com link doesn't always work.

Try using:

a.ntp.alphazed.net

and/or

time.nist.gov

and Apply.

After copying and pasting either or both into the Internet Time tab's menu box, you'll be able to select them from the drop down menu.

guesswho2 13:02 14 Aug 07

Thanks Stuartli but that didn't work either. I'm not too bothered about it not synchronizing because I've eventually got it to work previously, but I've never before seen "the peer is unreachable thing"! I Googled it but couldn't understand any reference! I'm slightly more concerned that there's an underlying problem because I didn't think that with a new battery it would need updating.

DieSse 14:29 14 Aug 07

I can never get mine to synchronise either. Sometimes I get just the error - sometimes "the peer is unreachable" too.

I've tried lots of different time servers - always the same.

The new battery is nothing really to do with things - the Windows clock will become inaccurate from time to time, by drifting slightly, and/or for software reasons - that's why the time sync facility was introduced.

The time when your system is running is kept by software - the hardware clock, driven by the battery, is only used when the system is switched off.

guesswho2 17:44 14 Aug 07

OK DieSse, thanks for that. I'm glad that you too got an unreachable peer note!

Stuartli 17:45 14 Aug 07

It should update itself automatically in any case - the day and time is listed on the panel.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5