Time to reformat and reload Windows?

Pineman100 09:24 26 Feb 08

My daughter's 4-yr-old PC runs XP SP2 Home. It has become very unpredictable in launching Outlook 2000. She uses it for her freelance business, and has a very large stack of email files/folders within Outlook, plus calender tasks, etc, which I suspect is the root of the problem.

Some days Outlook will launch within a couple of minutes. On others it can take up to 50 minutes between clicking the Outlook button and Outlook fully opening.

Since the computer is 4 years old, and has never been "spring cleaned", I suspect that it's probably time for a complete reformat and reload of Windows. I might even take the opportunity to replace her hard-worked hard drive while I'm at it.

Can anyone please tell me how to back up her huge stack of Outlook data? I can't face the prospect of individually exporting every one of her Outlook folders to a .csv file, then individually reimporting them afterwards (I'm 65 - I don't have the time left!!).

I believe it is possible to save all your Outlook data by simply backing up certain folders within Windows, and then copying them back after reloading Windows. Could anyone give me a clear, step-by-step explanation of how to do this, please?

And while we're at it, if anyone has any other tips on shortcuts in the Windows reload process, I'd love to hear about them.

Many thanks for any information that might help.

chub_tor 09:42 26 Feb 08

Whenever I have had to upgrade a hard drive I have made use of the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard see details click here and cross fingers it has never let me down. You need to check with others that it will save your Outlook messages (I know that it does with Outlook Exprress)but it also saves My Documents, Favourites and all of the essential stuff.

(65 is spring chicken, try 69)

Good luck

chub_tor 09:48 26 Feb 08

A few other links that could help

click here

click here

click here

stylehurst 14:02 26 Feb 08

Why not use Acronis True Image; this program allows you to select which files are placed in the image

Proclaimer 14:06 26 Feb 08

The Personal Folders Backup download creates backup copies of your .PST files at regular intervals, in Outlook 2002 and later versions, making it easy to keep all of your Outlook folders safely backed up.

click here

bjh 14:31 26 Feb 08

Older versions of Outlook have a bug which causes slowdown and even loss of data when a certain size is exceeded. It's long ago that I remember finding this out the hard way, and I will see what I can drag up about it.

bjh 14:36 26 Feb 08

Yes, I have got a few reminders from the web. If the PST fislesize exceeds 2 gigabytes, Outlook will crash (sometimes spectacularly). When close to that size, lots of file compacting and refiling will occur, and that may be the cause of the delay.

I don't think there was a patch released for this, I think one just had to ensure file size was reduced - or spend £££ ($$$) and upgrade!

bjh 14:41 26 Feb 08

Outlook 2000 .pst too large

click here

click here

Pineman100 18:12 26 Feb 08

A few individual responses:

chub_tor: some very useful links, thank you. I confess I didn't even know about the F.A.S.T., but I will research it carefully to see whether it will deal with Outlook folders.

If 65 is spring chicken, then I think you'll find that 69 is prawn chow mein.

stylehurst: using ATI is a good plan - I just need to be sure which files/folders to select in order to backup all the Outlook data. Do you know, please?

Proclaimer: thanks for the suggestion but my daughter's version of Outlook is 2000 - sounds too old. Do I take it from your reponse that the folders I need to look for *all* carry the suffix .pst?

BJH: that sounds very likely to be the reason for this problem, thank you. I think the first thing I'll do is get daughter to do some real housework on her Outlook folders, and see how much data she can actually dump.

I'm very grateful to you all, but as you can tell from my comments above, I'm still hoping for some definitive information on the names of the files/folders to backup, in order to preserve all Outlook emails and contacts, etc. Any thoughts on that please?

bjh 19:18 26 Feb 08

I've just pinched this from Microsoft... It is not as difficult as it seems, just take it slooow.

click here

How to export .pst file data
To export an individual Outlook folder, such as the Contacts folder or the Calendar folder, follow these steps: 1. On the File menu, click Import And Export.
2. Click Export To File, and then click Next.
3. In Create a file of type click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
4. In Select the folder to export from, click the folder you want to export. Click to select Include Subfolders if it applies, and then click Next.
5. In Save exported file as, click Browse to select the location of the .pst file to receive the data that you want to export. Or, type the path and file name, and then click Finish.

Back to the top

How to import .pst file data
To import a .pst file into Outlook, follow these steps: 1. On the File menu, click Import And Export.
2. Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
3. In Select the file type to import from, click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
4. In File to Import, click Browse to locate the .pst file that you want to import, and then click Next. If you know the path, type it in the box.
5. In Select the folder to import from, click the folder that contains the data that you want to import.

If the folder contains subfolders, and you want to include this data in the import process, click to select the Include Subfolders check box. If the destination for importing is the currently selected folder, click Import items into the current folder. Otherwise, click Import items into the same folder. This creates matching items in the destination folder that you select.
6. Click Finish.

DerekR 21:31 26 Feb 08

click here

I found this little beauty as a demo a while back - it works a dream - you can save all outlook data to a dvd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant