Time for a New PC... 64 bit Athlon?

newtothis 14:15 10 Nov 03

Hello Everybody

I'm currently looking to buy a new PC. I want it to be as future-proof as possible. Its a home system that will be used primarily for multimedia and internet surfing. I'm used to playing games on a console so not really a 'serious gamer' on a PC at the mo but that might change!

I've been looking at MESH PCs and think that the Xtreme 3200 would be a good buy for me. But whatabout the new crop of PCs with 64 bit Athlons? I really don't know whether it would be worth getting this... in any case I want a fully upgradable PC... any advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

GibsonSt19 14:18 10 Nov 03

Are you looking to buy pre-built or would you consider building your own?

Building your own would most certainly be cheaper and you could put together a most fitting system for your needs, however buying from a provider does give you a sense of safety (depending on the provider of course!)

Have a look in the Consumerwatch area, not sure how good Mesh actually are on after sales support etc.

newtothis 14:39 10 Nov 03

GibsonSt19
Is it really much cheaper? I didn't think there was that much in it when you consider the bundle deals. I would certainly consider building my own but am not sure whether I'd be successful.. it would be a first time for me. I guess I could get the Build-Your-Own Haynes manual. One of the things that puts me off is there seems to be so much potential for things to go wrong... connectors that change design every 3 seconds etc, am I mistaken? That is what I have gathered from those I know who have built there own.

pj123 14:52 10 Nov 03

Look here click here or click here you can always ring them for more information.

LastChip 15:01 10 Nov 03

It's doubtful you will save any money, but what you will get is a purpose built machine, that corresponds to your requirements.

You will also learn a lot in the process!

The 64 bit Athlon, is a very new processor, that MAY have some bugs that have yet to be ironed out. Personally, I like to see a chip like this on the market for a while, to see if there are any such problems. Also, at present, there are almost no programs written to take advantage of the increased performance. That no doubt will change!

On the plus side, if it works without problems, it will future proof you for the immediate term, but realistically, that advantge is likely to be short lived, and your paying a premium for the pleasure!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…