Time for a New Burner?

5ean 16:15 27 Dec 06

Liton S0HW-1633S

This drive has decided to stop burning DVD's, every program used reports errors at the start of the write sequence. Have tried different dvd, + and - to no effect. Error along the lines of not recognising the DVD as writeable.

The drive will read DVD's (games, films etc) and burn CD's fine. I was hoping someone with knowledge of how the hardware works would know whether to replace the drive or look for a software issue.

Liteon do not list a driver, it just uses microsoft drivers.

Thanks,
Sean

piddletrenthide 19:46 27 Dec 06

Probably you need to replace the drive; they don't last all that long. I replaced a LG 4040b with symptoms identical to yours after 2 years. Its replacement, a Benq DW 1655, died after 5 months. It seems that the faster they write, the more 'fragile' the DVD write laser becomes.

Stuartli 19:57 27 Dec 06

I'm very pleased with my Sony AW-G170A10, now under £20.

click here

Whether it's blank CDs or DVDs, I've always burned a disk at least one speed less than the maximum available and only used a rewriter purely for burning.

As a result my five-year-old TDK CyClone 24x10x40x CD rewriter was still working perfectly when I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a DVD rewriter. The TDK is being kept as a backup...:-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:58 27 Dec 06

Probably the eletronics in the drive not aligning the laser correctly.

Its cheaper to replace the dive than try and get it fixed.

5ean 12:50 28 Dec 06

Thanks, have ordered a samsung lightscribe capable drive. £19.99 maybe not the fastest or best (I don't know), but the laser label really interests me and at less than £20 happy to replace in a couple of years. My current liteon cost me close on £50 when I bought it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…