Time lapse photography/ movies

Epirb406 15:55 20 Feb 05

Hi all, sitting here on a wet sunday afternoon, looking for a little project I thoght it would be good to have a little play with my logitech webcam and orr a laptop with a built in cam.

What I would like to do is set the camera to take a picture, say every minute for 24 hours and then maybe make it into a movie or just select a couple of pics to keep.

The idea is to keep an eye on the comings and goings in the garden and the new bird boxes when the sping comes.

My searching hasn't found any useful sites or freebies to acheive this with, lots of ways to put my webcanm on the net but nothing to do what I want.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 18:22 20 Feb 05

ho hum

Epirb406 21:51 21 Feb 05

Or am I barking up the wrong tree in the wrong place?

Cheers, Epirb.

Pesala 22:22 21 Feb 05

Looks like you could start with a time lapse film of this thread. (~_~)

Seems like a workable idea. Irfan View can be set up to do time-based snashots of the screen direct to a file with the date and time stamp in the file name, so I guess you could show the feed from your webcam fullscreen, and grab it at ten minute intervals or whatever.

This story might give you some tips on how to proceed with motion activation of the camera: click here

Muckle 22:28 21 Feb 05

There is something called timershot that is part of the PowerToys for Win XP and it is free to download from Microsoft. I will try to find it on their website or you could do a search yourself.

Muckle 22:30 21 Feb 05

click here

Its at the bottom of the page

Pesala 22:34 21 Feb 05
  Alan2 22:40 21 Feb 05

For what it is worth.

I have a Canon A70 still camera and the software provided enables remote shooting via the PC including interval shots.

Whilst this appears to be the kind of thing you want there is a drawback in that the USB cable is only about 1.5m long so it would have to connected to a laptop sited with the camera.

Also the camera needs a direct power supply as this sort of use drains the batteries quickly.

ps: I hope you are registered with the MCA!

Epirb406 22:55 21 Feb 05

Muckle, thanks for that, how often do you get a free, tiny unobtrusive program that does what you want, ticking away taking time lapse pics quite happily as we speak......now, about that movie project, any way to turn hundreds of pics in to a movie?

Pesala, haven't tried the irfanview route yet but probably will, mostly just because I love the program, why use any other still viewer I say!

Alan2 yep, definitly registered but don't think they would scramble a helicopter to find me! Only prob with using the digicam is that I am far too mean to buy a mains adaptor and all those wires, in the kitchen!!!

Thanks all, any further thoughts appreciated,

Cheers, Epirb.

Bagsey 08:32 22 Feb 05

......now, about that movie project, any way to turn hundreds of pics in to a movie?
Running XP you already have a program that will do the job for you Basic but a good starting point to learn about movie editing, in Windows Movie Maker. There is a free (essential in my opinion)upgrade to Moviemaker2 available. Sorry havent got the site at my fingertips but a google search will find it. There are many free programs available checkout this forum for very good advice. click here

Epirb406 19:43 22 Feb 05

That looks like all boxes ticked.

Was also thinking of animated gifs for the movies, but either way, looks like I've got lift off.

Just need to wait for another rainy Sunday afternoon.

Thanks again, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…