TIme to get a new hard drive?

Cam123 22:14 27 Mar 06

For a number of month my computer has been playing up , with repetitve disk boot errors and small glitches and freezes. Aswell as this i hear a strange clicking noise from inside my pc shell every now and then , this usuually results to the pc crashing. I thin kit is my hard drive that is at fault , so would i be worth getting a new one , or could it be other components that are wrong.
ALso , recently while playing on a game the texturtes went very strange , which is the first time tis ever happened.
i have a 7800 GT and my hard drive is a MAxtor 6y160m0 , and is not quite a year old.
Any help would be much appreciated

DieSse 22:27 27 Mar 06

small glitches and freezes could be just about anything - but repetitive noot errors are most likely to be ahrd drive or RAM errors.

You can download a RAM test program for example click here

You can also download programs to test the hard drive, for Maxtor it's PowerMax at click here

Be VERY careful about running some facilities, which will erase all the information on the drive.

Tjere are also other things which could cause your problems - such as the motherboard, or processor, or PSU, or simply bad connections where items are plugged in - but less likely.

Unfortunately the only way to troubleshoot where the real problem lies is a long process of trial and error. You might strike lucky on the first thing you try - you might not.

Cam123 22:37 27 Mar 06

ive got software called belarc advisor that says my hard drive is healty , does this mean that theres nothing wrong with my harddrive , that it must be another componnent

Cam123 22:39 27 Mar 06

it usually crashes during games and then when restarted comes up with the disk boot failure or system32 config file corrupt or missing , is that hard drive related

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:40 27 Mar 06

belarc advisor is just inventory software for components

Hard disk checks before you condemn it
click here

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast4 click here

DieSse 22:41 27 Mar 06

No - Belarc does no tests on your drive at all - it simply checks if it's present and reporting itself validly and the file structure is reported by WinXP as having no errors.

It's not a substitute for a test.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:42 27 Mar 06

definitely corrupt files can point to bad sectors on the drive and if the boot sector goes then there is not much you can do.

DieSse 22:45 27 Mar 06

Overheating can also cause problems like you have - when you restart after a crash, you can look in the BIOS to checkout temperatures.

You can also use the Everest program to check temperature and fan speed at any time.

Files that are only reported as corrupt some of the time (ie you don't always get boot errors) may be due to

Heat

Poorly written files which read well sometimes and not others

Other problems such as RAM etc.

Cam123 22:50 27 Mar 06

when the system 32 error comes up i usually have to completely reboot my computer and reinstall windows.

Cam123 22:52 27 Mar 06

i was told before the clicking noise i heard was to do with the hardrive and it meant it was on its way out , is that true?

DieSse 23:01 27 Mar 06

*i was told before the clicking noise i heard was to do with the hardrive and it meant it was on its way out , is that true?*

Maybe - it's difficult to be categoric without hearing the noise.

Clicking is sometimes the noise a hard drive makes when it fails to find data and makes a *recalibration seek* to suss out where the heads really are - a sort of reset.

They can be due to real errors the drive has made, heat related misreads, or corruption of the drive brought about by other problems.

If this was my system I would run the tests, and be inclined to think it's the hard drive - it certainly could be - then I would try another drive. But that is not a cast iron certainty that it's the drive - you can't get that simply from remote advice.

What I'm really trying to say is - it's probably the hard drive - but there's no certainty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…