Time to Ditch the Desktop! Newbie needs help please.

Mittens 10:02 AM 27 May 12

Hi, the time has come to say goodbye to my beloved PC which has done sterling service for (ahem) 7 years - I know, and it's really showing it's age now, creaking and limping along.

Anyway, I am now looking at laptops, want a 17" screen and a keyboard which is as close to a clicky regular keyboard as possible - not happy with the rubbery-type silent keys.

For my purposes a friend has suggested the following as being a suitable spec https://www.simplyasus.com/ASUSK73E-TY213V1120768.html

I wonder if anybody could suggest something similar in terms of spec, size, etc., so I have something to compare with? The budget won't really stretch too much further, so if there are any really super deals available I'd be pleased to hear about them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Nontek 15:49 PM 27 May 12

Have a look at these from Novatech

I have recently also ditched my very old Desktop for a new Laptop from Novatech mine was £660 c/w Win7 pre-installed - absolutely no bloatware.

The link I have shewn above is more in your price-range. Good luck.

Mittens 20:19 PM 27 May 12

Thanks for the suggestions - I did look at the Novatech site but the 17" screen laptops are outside my budget. I'll just have to keep looking. Do you think the changeover from Windows 7 to Windows 8 will result in those computers with 7 coming down in price?

Nontek 21:02 PM 27 May 12

Win7 to 8, PCs coming down in price? I think most unlikely, at least not in the near future.

frybluff 21:49 PM 28 May 12

Have a look at Toshiba's C870 range. The base one, the 11F, is a slightly better spec than the Asus, and you should get it, around the same price, if you shop around. If you can "push the boat out", a bit, the 11G and 11H are actually better value for money, depending on what you want it to do. Both Toshiba, and Asus, are well respected manufacturers. Decent, budget 17" laptops, are as rare as "hen's teeth". If you can manage with a 15.6", there are dozens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know