Time computers

upatree 09:44 03 Sep 03

There are lots of people out there with strong opinions about Time. Unfortunately, they are the only company to offer exactly what I need in a new system (for internet, digital still and video editing and general PC work but no gaming), within my budget. Would I have to be mad to go with them, or does anyone have a better suggestion? Sadly,I don't have the time to self-build, which seems to be the only other way to get exactly what I want. All advice gratefully received!

seedie 09:49 03 Sep 03

Perceived wisdom seems to be that if the computer works then you're ok. otherwise you might be up a gumtree.

upatree 09:53 03 Sep 03

I suppose the only way to know is to find statistics for satisfied v. irate customers. Is there such a site?

Time Group - Chris 10:02 03 Sep 03

I'm sure if you plumped for a Time PC then you would not be disappointed. Many users of this site have approached me before purchasing a Time and I cannot remember one who has come back with a complaint.

However, if you ever find yourself up a 'gumtree' as seedie says, you can always drop me an e-mail to [email protected] and I'll sort any problems for you.

Cheers - Chris

billyliv 10:52 03 Sep 03

Hi, My first computer was a 'Time Machine' (until I got into 'self assembly'). I had no complaints whatsoever with the 'Time Machine' and the 'Software bundle' was truly exceptional.
PS. I am in education and do not sell computers.
Cheers, Bill

Joe McG 11:09 03 Sep 03

The only sticking point with me about Time, is the £50 delivery charge, even if you want to pick the system up yourself.

MAJ 14:16 03 Sep 03

I still don't trust them, not that I've ever had any dealings with them, but their name still has a long way to go in my opinion. They joined up with or took over Tiny a few years ago, didn't they? Will two wrongs make a right? I'll wait and see.

Just my personal opinion.

Kryten 15:04 03 Sep 03

As well as the £50 postage, don't forget to add the £99 for the recovery disk with the operating system on. This will add £149 onto the actual price of the machine.

MAJ 15:35 03 Sep 03

"The only sticking point with me about Time, is the £50 delivery charge, even if you want to pick the system up yourself." - Posted by Joe McG.

Surely, that can't be true?????????

"....don't forget to add the £99 for the recovery disk with the operating system on." - Posted by Kryten.

Is that true???

I'm also wondering if they use IBM drives (aren't they now called Hitachi drives) in their computers, it wouldn't surprise me.

No, steer clear.

FRANKMAC 15:53 03 Sep 03

Mixed feelings here !

1 friend has had no problem with his system at all, the package included all the Extras, Digi cam , web cam etc.

My brother in law has had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!
On developing a "start up" problem he spent endless time on their (not so helpful)"HELP LINE" at £1 per min to be told it is quite normal for the PC to take 7 (seven) minutes to boot up, despite it previously taking less than 1 minute........they were no help whatsoever!

A friend sorted it out for him in less than 5 mins! and the system is now ok.

Also dissappointed with the extras costs for the system disks and delivery charge.

They hadn't set up the Anti virus software nor any firewall ! despite it being sold to them as Internet ready.

xania 20:13 03 Sep 03

I have upgraded a friends Time PC from '95 to '98SE recently and was worried about getting all those drivers sorted out. However, having installed the baasic OS, I then got down to the Time supplied restore CD and in no time had every single device working as new - first time every time. However, I've also seen a few horror stories from Time - and most of the other companies as well. I'm afraid you have to take pot luck.

However, if you want a better suggestion.......

With all the help on this site, why not build it yourself!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…