Time computer with XP update problems

allang 11:29 21 Feb 04

Can you clever boys and giggles out there help me with the following.I have a TIME laptop running XP home.When I try to install critical updates my computer crashes and I get 100's of cross-linked files which means I have to reload OS and everything else I have backed up.

After re-loading,I've installed SP1 from the Microsoft cd with no problems.If I run "sfc/scannow" all is ok and the machine is stable.However,when I install other updates, saved on disc,and one at a time,although the installation goes ok if I run SFC again my computer crashes and I'm back to square one.

I'm installing on a clean machine.No virus checker or anything else.I'm running SFC due to a previous disaster.So :

1.Is my problem due to the way Time partition their XP software.

2.Does anyone else have a similar problem,either with time or any other make.

3.I assume running SFC should be successful after updates installed or do I need the reload cd in, or would that simply reload factory settings. I don't have XP discs,just reload cd's.

4.Do the updates have to be in a certain order.

Please can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Many thanx.

allang 12:00 21 Feb 04

^

allang 12:01 21 Feb 04

^

ensonricky 13:49 21 Feb 04

Your disk may be corrupted install updates from the internet

allang 17:09 21 Feb 04

^

powerless 17:15 21 Feb 04

Cross linked files?

Run CheckDisk.

powerless 17:19 21 Feb 04

1. Doubt it.

2. No I went Evesham.

3. No need to run SFC after any update.

4. Any order, although some updates have to be installed exclusively to others. IE 6 SP1, DX...

=Reload omce more, install updates, but do not run SFC.

allang 13:42 22 Feb 04

^

powerless 14:29 22 Feb 04

?

allang 14:41 22 Feb 04

Doesn't matter which order I install updates, eventually computer crashes and I end up with 100's of cross-linked files as disc check tries to sort out filing system.

powerless 14:42 22 Feb 04

Can you pinpoint the update that causes this problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…