tick for Internet Explorer updates?

markdavid 17:59 02 Apr 08

I have a new laptop running Windows XP Pro with Internet Explorer 7 pre-installed.
I use Firefox as my default browser, but I occasionally use Explorer; two browsers are better than none!
Every time I click to open Explorer, my Panda 2008 anti-virus warns me of a "Browser Highjack attempt" and prompts me not to allow access or change settings.
In Control Panel / Internet Options I have not clicked the box to be informed of Explorer updates. Should I do this and download them automatically, and would this get rid of the regular warning messages?

freaky 18:31 02 Apr 08

No harm can be done by selecting the box.

As regards the warning by Panda, which Firewall are you using ?

Stuartli 18:36 02 Apr 08

Why not just go direct to WindowsUpdate?

markdavid 18:48 02 Apr 08

I just checked and the Windows Firewall was NOT activated. I did so, but then got a Panda message "conflict of Firewalls." Do I wish to use the Panda Firewall. Which should I choose?
By the way, my D-Link Router router already has a built-in firewall.

Stuartli 18:50 02 Apr 08

Forget the Windows XP firewall...:-)

Use the Panda firewall along with the router firewall - I have this combination but with ZoneAlarm Free rather than Panda.

markdavid 18:58 02 Apr 08

do I resign myself to getting warning messages about vulnerabilities and hijacking attempts when I open Explorer, even though I am obviously secure?

freaky 19:04 02 Apr 08

The standard Windows Firewall only gives one-way protection unless you use Windows Live OneCare.

As regards the Panda Firewall I am not familiar with it so don't know whether it gives more protection than standard Windows version.

As Stuarti states disable the Windows version.

peter99co 19:51 02 Apr 08

Is a router firewall one or two way please?

Woolwell 19:53 02 Apr 08

It could be the anti-spyware part of Panda thinking that the home page is being changed or that something else is blocking a change. Do you run any additional malware/spyware programs?

woodchip 19:55 02 Apr 08

Why use IE when you have Firefox, Panda is trying to protect you

markdavid 08:41 03 Apr 08

Stuartli and freaky - I'll look into those alternatives in due course, many thanks.
Woodchip -I also run CCleaner and use it after every session.
I get the general message that my Panda plus Router firewalls are adequate. It was the conflict that was worrying me. I have resigned myself to getting hijack attempt messages if I ever use Explorer, but I can put up with that.
Just as an aside, I'm certainly no expert, but I do get the impression that Windows tries to rule everything you do computer-wise. Agreed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…