Thunderstorms

Input Overload 19:46 14 Jul 09

There are some nasty thunderstorms scattered about the country, & remember you don't need anything like a direct hit to fry your Pc/Hi-Fi etc. As it's lightening in the distance I'm closing down the PC & unplugging anything that's plugged in.

I am also going this with my cherished Hi-Fi system - Better safe than sorry.

click here

sunnystaines 22:13 14 Jul 09

last week during night pc off but plugged in. had psu,m/b, phone, router damage. yet to check hdd's etc as pc write off rebuild new one tomorrow.

plug comes out of wall from now everynight.

woodchip 22:32 14 Jul 09

This is the one to watch, its live pictures click here

Forum Editor 22:46 14 Jul 09

on the plot - plenty of rain, but no thunder.

Technotiger 22:50 14 Jul 09

Sorry to hear of your woes, that is tough luck!

I often wonder, during a thunder storm, about all the hundreds of thousands of computers on the go, day and night in businesses, yet one very rarely hears of instances like that experienced by you!

Technotiger 22:52 14 Jul 09

Also, did you have Anti-surge or any other type of protection on your set=up.

I have anti-surge sockets on all my important hardware.

Input Overload 23:12 14 Jul 09

In Chesterfield forked lightening, the thunderstorm trackers use an AM system similar ro having an AM radio on, using these they can triangulate where storms are. Not 100% accurate as Pilsley also 12 miles from Chesterfield had lightening also, & my son had a mass unplugging episode.

Input Overload 23:20 14 Jul 09

click here

Several hits in the midlands.

sunnystaines 01:31 19 Jul 09

had a belkin suge protector that was not affected, even the keyboard was knocked out. was not aware of any lightning that night but something did a bit of damage. monitor survived so did tv.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac