Thunderbird and saved emails

sjbell 11:03 23 Dec 04

I have some saved emails on my hard drive (.eml file type). Despite having set Thunderbird as my default mail client, Outlook Express still opens these messages. I have used the 'Open with' option to change the selected program from OE to Thunderbird, but when I double click on the file nothing happens. This occurs for both emails saved in OE and since using Thunderbird. Does anyone have any idea how to get Thunderbird to open these files?

Gongoozler 11:19 23 Dec 04

With Thunderbird version 1, File - Open Saved Message will let you read .eml files.

sjbell 11:36 23 Dec 04

Thanks Gongoozler, but is there any way to get Thunderbird to open them just by double clicking the file (i.e. without having start Thunderbird first)?

JayDay 11:55 23 Dec 04

Right click the file whilst pressing the shift key. Click on 'open with' select Thunderbird from the list and tick the box that says always open with (or similar)

sjbell 12:02 23 Dec 04

JayDay - That is what I tried but it doesn't work (the email does not open). I'll just have to use Gongoozler's method unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Gongoozler 12:17 23 Dec 04

Hi sjbell. I've done a bit of Googling and it appears that it can't yet be done. You can create a file association but it just opens the Thunderbird application, it doesn't open a message window. I think Firefox is a superb browser, but Thunderbird falls short in a few ways; for example just look at the performance involved in backing up your emails.

sjbell 12:23 23 Dec 04

Thanks Gongoozler for your help. I'm quite happy with Thunderbird - this is just one of those niggles. Perhaps they will fix it in the next release. With regards to backing up emails there is this program click here but I haven't used it myself.

Gongoozler 12:28 23 Dec 04

Thanks for that. It's a pity that Thunderbird makes it so difficult where OE only needs a few dbx files saved.

JayDay 15:23 23 Dec 04

Try the Thunderbird support forum click here

JayDay 15:46 23 Dec 04

click here This will expalin how to solve your problem using a Thunderbird extension.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…